Model Cars Magazine Forum

Better wheels, tyres and hubs for AMT Monaco Monaco

The 1/24 Revell '70 Road Runner kit is the only source for the six-slot "cop car" Mopar wheels, and I haven't seen anyone making correct matching dog dish caps, either. Most/all of the available caps have too few holes, including those in the Yodel Monaco/Fury kits.

The 1/24 Revell '70 Road Runner kit is the only source for the six-slot "cop car" Mopar wheels, and I haven't seen anyone making correct matching dog dish caps, either. Most/all of the available caps have too few holes, including those in the Yodel Monaco/Fury kits.

thanks. going to be a pain in the ass, might have to try to make some and cast in resin. I had thought of using the AMT kits crome caps, smoothed to the correct shape and drill holes, or at least decals so represents dots. I am working on a car now, but i would have done so many more if the wheels and tyres were upto the job. I looked at the Yodel ones i had and year not quite good enough....

Suprised no one has made some, i have spoken to some other UK cop car fans, and they also say they have the AMT MOnacos, but never made due to no good wheels and tyres.

I had thought of using the AMT kits crome caps, smoothed to the correct shape and drill holes, or at least decals so represents dots.

Suprised no one has made some

I think part A answers part B. Decals would be easier, but you'd at least need some type of indexing system to ensure all those little holes are properly located and sized on that tiny cap if you're going to drill them.

I think i should be ok now, a friend has the road runner wheels, and i will shape down the ones in the AMT Monaco, which see to match the style for a 74 vehicle, although a little rough around the edges. I will see if the drilled holes can be done into a resin hubcap otherwise i think a small decal would be the best bet. Im going to see what the Yodel Fury grill looks like on the Monaco also, see about making some in resin.

The steering wheel from memory is wrong in the AMT kit, will check out the Yodel kit.

I got a reply from that Scenes unlimited guy, quick response as i still not got a reply from Jbot in well over a week now. Some great resin items and when i am a bit better off financially off i am sure getting a few items at least

The MPC Monaco caps will get you close, but they have to be very carefully trimmed away...all four of them. Adding the 18(!) tiny holes is the biggest hurdle, and even if someone manages to pull that off successfully, there's still the peaked center to figure out. :blink:

dogdish002.jpg

thanks guys, useful info. I would love to build many more of my AMT Monaco's, play around with the side of the body long strips that vary from one to another.

I was awake late into the early hours with bad ache, so i was looking online, came across some pics from a guy called Dave Neuman. Some nice models and photos on this link.

http://copcardotcom.fotki.com/miscellaneous_photo/modelers_bench-1/dave_neuman/dsc01094.html

If you're planning to replicate a 1977 model , remember that the 77's had ambre turn signals in their tail lamp lenses .

Additionally ; if you're planning to replicate a California Highway Patrol unit , it's a little known fact that these --and their civilian counterparts-- did not have the Electronic Lean Burn computer . Instead , the California cars had all of the smog junk ( Catalytic Converter(s) , EGR , A.I.R. Pump , etc. ) .

Regarding the steering wheel : While the kit's tiller is *technically* incorrect , its presence isn't out of the realm of possibility . That "Tuff-Grip" wheel certainly could have been ordered on an "A38"

( Police Car Conversion Package ) , as well as a civilian model . The 'Partial Horn Ring' tiller is most common ; that's what the Yodel kits have .

My biggest complaints about this kit --since its inception some thirty years ago-- are :

- Manual transmission . Only available with the 225 Slant Six .

- 1966 & earlier brake master cylinder .

- 1968-1969 engine air cleaner .

- Those stupid tyres and wheels ( :angry: ) .

An excellent source for original , factory-issued brochures and other factory info , is Hamtramck Historical : 1970 .

thanks guys. useful info and pic

I had read in one of the books about the 10bhp less for the CHP due to strict emissions etc and A38 package, what could be ordered etc. I have seen the single round light on a 75 Fury as used by the NYPD, i think it just might be a illusion but it looks like the single round light area size, is different to the 2 smaller rectangle lighted Fury, that seems thinner, but i guess it is just a illusion.