Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford

mikevillena

This is going to be my first hot rod project. I'm still in the planning stage and am gathering reference materials. But I'm leaning towards a fenderless build and a space frame. I will be scartchbuilding a Jag IRS rear end. I will also be scratchbuilding either a Drake-Offenhauser, Miller or a Ford Cosworth DFV. Should be fun!

IMG_1311_zps4f51debf.jpg

Not being sure just what that engine was I looked it up on the web.That will be an interesting scratch build for the motor alone.There are a lot of drawings and photos available on line to assist with details.Will the exotic engine choice influence any other features such as wheels,interior appointments or suspension engineering choices?

Hi guys!

@ Narampa & Dale - Yep, a 32 Ford is a must. I've always admired the styling and ingenuity on Hot Rods particularly on the 32's. Definitely fenderless on this one.

@ Michael - I'm using the Revell '32 5-Window Coupe 2 n 1 kit. I have been patiently waiting for the 3 window to show up at my local Hobby Lobby but none ever did. This 5 window showed up at the Michael's so I grabbed it. Not exactly my first choice but since I will be teaching myself how to do a chop it should be fine.

@ JC - I guess I never steal parts other from kits. This forces me to try and scratchbuild stuff. A good example is the driver's seat on my Alfa GTA. I wanted to keep the 155 V6 Ti kit intact so that I can build it. So I was forced to learn how to make moulds (even a crappy one) and learn casting. Sure, it would be easier to simply buy a kit that will donate it's parts but I wouldn't learn anything new. :D

@ Tom - You are correct. There is a lot of reference material out on the web regarding the DFV. Unfortunately, I haven't found a complete set of drawings yet. But I plan on taking measurements from a 1/20th scale engine that has been salvaged from an old Tyrell 6 wheeler that built 30 years ago. But I'm also leaning towards a supercharged Miller indy engine and an Indy style front grill. I'm still undecided on wheel choice.

@ Nate - That's an option. But I'll most likely scratchbuild it or something similar. There are numerous IRS sites that have a lot of design options too.

Edited by mikevillena

I found a couple of 32 projects that really caught my eye:

32Ford-Roadster-DSPORT-Killeen-001_zpsc1

32Ford-Roadster-DSPORT-Killeen-0012_zps3

hotrod_3_zps336e05d6.jpg

1258827986-ffr-33hotrod21_zpse8be2ac1.jp

I'm still undecided if I will leave it as a coupe or go with the roadster look. But I started the prep by scraping and sanding the numerous parting lines and leveling out the area under the rear window where the tooling insert didn't sit flush. I then sanded off the textured area on the roof and gave it a shot of working primer. If I decide to go with a coupe, I will tape it solidly to my glass work top and mark out the 3 scale inch chop using a block mounted stylus.

IMG_1313_zps66355623.jpg

HEY Mike, wheres the Alfa? (lol) I say do the Cosworth DFV! jus kiddi'n . whicj kit are you using , (for the'32?).Shaun.s

Hey Shaun, the Alfa is still on-going. I will be switching to this whenever I need a break from the Alfa. I'm using the Revell '32 5 Window kit.

Mike, the only 1/24 scale DFV I can think of is in Fujimi's Dome-O kit.

DSCN1543-vi.jpg

It's a very nice one however.

DSCN1544-vi.jpg

JC, will you kindly let me know when you'll be out of town so that I can break into your house and steal a few kits from your stash? :lol: You've got a heck of a collection! I do look forward to the challenge of scratchbuilding the DFV. I think Protar released several DFV powered F-1 kits in 1/24th but I'm certain that the quality isn't as good as your sample kit. I have their 1/24th scale Ferrari F187 kit and the details are crude (and I'm being generous). I do have Tamiya's 1/20th scale DFV and I will take measurements from it and scale things down to 1/25th.

Edited by mikevillena

I opted to go with the coupe. I'll try to build the roadster another time. Before I can start the chop, I had to cut out the doors:

IMG_1314_zps24dc022f.jpg

IMG_1315_zpse5fc0041.jpg

With doors cut, I set the body on one of my glass work tops and set up a crude stylus using a t-pin and my machinist's square. I then scribed the baseline:

IMG_1316_zps8d3a6ec2.jpg

IMG_1317_zpsd813d8b5.jpg

Point of no return:

IMG_1318_zps8929bf99.jpg

IMG_1319_zpsdeb5c8c1.jpg

IMG_1320_zpsbe10bb47.jpg

IMG_1321_zps1812b701.jpg

IMG_1322_zpsf8b39c32.jpg

Hi Mike, thanks for the info about the kit. I have a couple of 3 window 32 coupes waiting in the shadows, and I'm real enthused about your project!

Question: Your cutting lines look very, very even and clean. Is there a lot of material loss on the doors? You mentioned a machinist's tool. Could you tell us how you cut the doors and roof?

Good stuff in progress here.

Michael

wow thats a cool way to chop the top,great idea...

I'm sure someone else has done it this way or have found a better way.

great illustrated step x step; thanks

I have never done custom bodywork before so I was merely trying to replicate how they do things on the real cars. I tried to follow the steps on this site:

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/custom_top_cutting_techniques/

Another cool site:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/traditional-hot-rods.57/

Edited by mikevillena

Hope to see this model finished and looking good under the glass!

Thanks Glenn. I'll try to do a decent job.

Hi Mike, thanks for the info about the kit. I have a couple of 3 window 32 coupes waiting in the shadows, and I'm real enthused about your project!

Question: Your cutting lines look very, very even and clean. Is there a lot of material loss on the doors? You mentioned a machinist's tool. Could you tell us how you cut the doors and roof?

Good stuff in progress here.

Michael

Hi Michael. To cut the doors, I used the back tip of a sharp x-acto knife blade (mounted on the handle) and lightly followed the molded door opening. The phrase " death by a thousand cuts" applies here as I kept lightly scribing and removing tiny bits of plastic with each cut. I had to constantly scrub the cut line with an old toothbrush and soapy water to remove debris as even a tiny fragment will cause the knife blade to pop out and gouge the surrounding plastic or cause the cut line to go wonky. The material loss is about the same as the thickness of the knife blade tip if one is careful. I also try to keep the knife tip perpendicular to the surface to avoid a bevel cut. I wait until it is time to fit the door before dressing the cuts. I made my own sanding pad by sticking various grades of wet and dry sandpaper onto an old machinist's 6 in. steel rule using 3M spray adhesive. This sanding pad is flexible while yielding a flat sanding surface. To cut the top, I used my old Zona razor saw:

IMG_1329_zps3a403244.jpg

For the horizontal cuts, I started on one of the round corners and used my finger tips to help guide the saw blade. I took my time and kept adjusting the saw blade angle to make sure that the cut is straight and is perpendicular to the surface. Once I've cut through the corner, the actual cut edge acts as a guide for the blade to rest on. I also used soapy water to constantly lubricate the knife as I make the cut. Because I'm still learning and experimenting there might be a better or easier way to do this.

Oh and the machinist's square is a cheap Harbor Freight version:

IMG_1328_zpsaf973302.jpg

Edited by mikevillena

Since the top is not yet glued on, I can easily fill in the ejector marks and transitions with Tamiya putty and wet sand once it is fully cured:

IMG_1326_zps7bf7aa9a.jpg

IMG_1327_zps01232d37.jpg

I'll give it a skim coat of Bondo red putty and set it aside for a while. Back to the Alfa project.