Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carbon Fiber Decals

i got a sheet of Model Master carbon fiber decals off the internet last month and decided to try them on the targa top of a lotus i was working on. it said on the instructions to clear coat them to prevent scrathes. so i tried the decals on the roof panel before i clear coated the decal and i couldnt apply the deacal without scratching it. so the next day when i put the clear coat on the decal it formed waves on the decal sheet and when it dried the waves were still there and the whole sheet was discolored and didnt look like carbon fiber anymore. so to make a long story short, i screwed up the decal sheet. does anybody know what i mightve done wrong or if i used the wrong clearcoat (i used duplicolor clear), or if maybe this brand isnt very good and i need to try something else.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Cody,

I think that you're supposed to clear them before you apply them. If you don't get good responses from someone who knows better, send a message to my friend Hossain Salimi. He's listed on the forum as Hossalimi. There's nobody I know that's better at applying decals, including the carbon fiber stuff. He can answer your questions and provide all the tips that you'll need to get the job done well.

Regards,

Cody,

I usually use Scale Motor Sports carbon fiber decals. They're excellent decals. I've had no problems with them.

Two things that could have occurred with your decal. The first thing that comes to mind is that the Duplicolor Clear Coat started eating the decal, which is not uncommon. The second thing is if there was a scratch in the decal, the solvent from the paint could have seeped under the decal and ruined it.

For my clear coats, I'll use Future Acrylic. (I've never had it do anything to decals.) Another one I use is Testor's Clear Coats in the spray can. The one I really like using is called Floquil Crystal Coat, but you'll need an airbrush for it. I try to stay away from lacquer based paints for clear over decals. The lacquer has the tendency to eat decals if they're not of a good quality, especially if you're using the spray cans since the solvents in the spray can will often ruin the decals. Hope this is helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Cody,

NEVER use Laquer products on Carbon fiber decals. It will eat them for lunch. I have used future, but lately 2 part clear works very well over Scale motorsport decals. Tamiya clear will work over certain brands though. I have used it on Modelers brand CF with no issues. Its a trial and error thing you have to work out!

DaveT

Cody,

NEVER use Laquer products on Carbon fiber decals. It will eat them for lunch. I have used future, but lately 2 part clear works very well over Scale motorsport decals. Tamiya clear will work over certain brands though. I have used it on Modelers brand CF with no issues. Its a trial and error thing you have to work out!

DaveT

Hey David just like to say your an awsome model builder. and what type of clear do you use

• 2 weeks later...

I only shoot Testors model master clear over my Scale Motor Sports decals and have never had a problem!

I admit that they are very thin and rip easy. But, getting the rip matched up is simple matter and they dry without the crack showing.

passdoor-vi.jpg

I guess it's hard to see here... but the entire interior floor and firewall plus the door panels are completely covered with SMS carbon fiber decals. Took weeks to get it all done and many sheets of decal paper!