Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is it possible to change the color on decals?

The 67 Corvette kit I got from Revell came with redline tire decals. I am trying to recreate a specific 1:1 car I had back in the day. I had purchased and installed Goodyear Bluestreak tires that had blue lines on the them.

Is it possible to spray paint these decals blue or maybe use a blue permanent marker? I have a spray can of adhesion promoter - maybe I should spray that on the decals first?

I am concerned that the decal may not release if I paint over it though.

post-14218-0-24190200-1406148179_thumb.j

Hey, friend.....

If you color over the red decals with blue, I would think it would make them purple. You may could get away with coloring some white wall decals after they were applied to the tire. AMT makes blue streak parts packs, but I think they are only available as slicks....

Hope to have helped!

Except the blue printed decals would disappear on the black tire because the blue is translucent.

Ron, TJ has the right idea. You'd be better off finding some thin white wall decals and using a blue sharpie to color over the white. That'll tint the stripes blue and any extra blue won't show up once you apply the decals onto the black tire.

Edited by Chief Joseph

Except the blue printed decals would disappear on the black tire because the blue is translucent.

Ron, TJ has the right idea. You'd be better off finding some thin white wall decals and using a blue sharpie to color over the white. That'll tint the stripes blue and any extra blue won't show up once you apply the decals onto the black tire.

Only if they were printed on clear decal paper, they can be printed on white paper and trimmed, with a circle compass cutter.

Only if they were printed on clear decal paper, they can be printed on white paper and trimmed, with a circle compass cutter.

Try it sometime and you'll see how impractical that would be. If you have to rely on a circle cutter to get your stripe you might as well just use the cutter on some blue decal paper or other thin adhesive material and not bother scanning and printing. I guess I'm fortunate since I have the tools to make a stripe like this as either a waterslide decal or a vinyl decal. Directly painting the blue stripes onto the tires is a good option if you can use a circle cutter to make the correct masks.