Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to use Model Master Metalizer No Buff Sealer (Testors 1459)

Modelmaster Metalizers come in two types, "Buffing" and "Non-buffing". IIRC, the concept of "Metalizing" paints began with the English hobby paint mfr Humbrol, in the mid-1970's. Monogram Models offered, for several years in the late 70's/early 80's Humbrol Metalizers in the same little tinlets, but with Monogram-Humbrol labeling.

Somewhere along the way, I think Testors managed to either buy the formula from Humbrol, or perhaps they either cloned it, or came up with their own. But I digress:

It appears to me that Modelmaster (and indeed Humbrol) buffing metalizers behave, once dry, very much like the so-called "Metallic Wax" finishes which came on the craft market about 1968 or so. You could wipe that stuff on a plastic model, just as you would ordinary paste wax, except that this stuff had very finely ground metal powder in it, which you could buff out to an almost mirror finish. It seems to me that this is what the Metalizer buffing paints may well be, as you can polish those gently and they will come up with a rather bright sheen, close to that of polished metal.

The non-buffing metalizers do not have that "polishability" however, but rather they give a grainy metallic surface that lacks any sort of glossy carrier as one might expect in say, a metallic automotive lacquer or enamel. That gives a raw, unfinished, unpolished finish that gives a hint of say, raw cast metal.

Art

Spraying the "sealer" over BUFFED metalizer will destroy the polished-metal appearance, and return the look to muddy silver paint (at least it has whenever I've used it).

I've been getting around to trying a water-based clear that shouldn't have any effect on the appearance, but so far have not done the testing.

The "sealer" is entirely unnecessary, as the buffed polished-metal appearance lasts well if not handled (assuming it's done correctly).

Like Bill said, do not use the sealer over the buffed metallizer, it will kill the effect. It is good to use over parts that have a metallic finish that are not buffed, or have a reflection.

I buff out the metallizers with kleenex.

On another forum, a large scale forum, a guy did a tutorial with micromesh and sanding and polishing the metallizers. It was amazing, but I haven't been able to get it to work without rubbing through.