Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where Can I Get Plasticoat Primer?

Hello everyone.Where can I get Plasticoat primers at? We have Hobby Lobby(No luck so far),Hobby Town U.S.A.,Michaels, and a couple of LHS's in our area. I have had no luck finding it so far.Is it at places like Menards? I have Duplicolor's sandable primer. I have yet to use it.Any primer help(Brand wise) would be appreciated.Can I apply primers in cold weather conditions(i.e. in my cold garage)? :unsure:B):D

Sorry but Duplicolor and Plastikote ARE NOT the same. Plastikote is lacquer primer while Duplicolor sandable primer is enamel based (I think it is acrylic enamel but I'm not sure). Duplicolor is now offering a lacquer primer which may be similar.

Plastikote is safe in the recent Revell soft plastic while Duplicolor can attack it.

You can check Plastikote.com and search for dealers in your area.

Yes, Plastikote is my favorite primer and I went to extremes to get it. I had to order 6 cases as a "distributor" to get it here. My experience with Duplicolor has not been very good.

Thanks,

I'm in the Chicgago,IL area and the only place I can find it is at Michael's.They hide it pretty good so ask.I also get the same brand primer in white too.For the Kustomizers out there,or anyone needing a gray primer with a high solids Michael's also sell a primer under the name of Design Master.This stuff is THICK,so shake the can and make sure you heat the can well.I'm going to check out Car Quest in my area now also.

You should'nt paint in a cold garage either.Weird things will happen eventually like cracking coatings etc.

HTH

I also use the Michael's Crafts Plastikote primer, which says lacquer right on the label. It is hard to find in the store, they have their paint scattered about the place. If you use the 40% coupon, it comes to something like $2.27 for a big can in NY.

Thanks for all of the input everyone!!!! I found some of Plasti-cote's sandable primer at a local Michaels.Now I hear an arctic blast is coming this weekend, so my first attempt is going to be put on hold.It looks like it is time to detail and assemble a diecast "Badman II" in the interim!!! Thanks again everyone, ireally appreciate it!!! :P:D:D

Todd

• 4 months later...

Well I've been able to find the Plasti-Kote Sandable Primer just at just about every store I've looked at (WalMart, Benny's, etc.), but I live in MA, so that might make a difference. But I've never found it in the hobby or craft sections, it's always been in the automotive section. :blink:

• 2 months later...
Duplicolor and Plasticote primers are the same. Down here in Florida, a lot of auto parts stores quit carrying Plasticote brand. You only find Duplicolor.

I have used both brands for years and there is no difference between the two.

Hey Dude!

Do you think there's a chance we can get. . . say, another 6 or 8 cases?

Maybe we could make a group buy or something like that.

Let me know. :lol: