Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors One Coat Vs. Clear Coar (urethane Clear)

I have some of the new Testors one coat paint on the way (as i cant get it here) and am wondering if I can clear it with a Multi part urethane clear? I have been using Dupont Premier Chroma-clear over all my House of Kolor stuff (not walmart brand) and I just want to make sure it doesnt wrinkle up or wreck.

also- what can I use for a primer with that stuff?

-amnd finnaly, does anyone have a photo of what the green looks like?

any help is very much appretiated.

thanks,

Mike

I don't think there should be any problem using that clear over the Testor's paint. But to be sure, I always do a test piece. As for the primers, any good grade automotive primer would work. I like Plasti-coat (sp) and Duplicolor sandable primers. Usually you can get that at any automotive supply store. Let us know if you have any problems with that paint. I'm sure people would like to know.

Hi Mike,

A great primer to use is Plasti-Kote. Rattle can. You can buy it at most auto parts places. It comes in different colors including white. I also use automotive PPG Concept 2001 clear urethane(multi part) over a lot of my color coats including Testors enamels. The best thing for you to do is get some plastic spoons and test from primer, paint color to clearcoat to check for wrinkles. I am going to post a pic on the workbench of a 68 Charger conversion with a urethane clear coat soon. Take a look. I hope this helps.

Don B

I used the Inca Gold on a project last week. Under it I used Tamiya White Primer so that primer is certainly compatible. The paint really does cover in one application, ie I made about three paint passes to ensure that I'd gotten every nook and cranny. Paint came out with what seemed to be a lot of force so keep that can moving. Once dry coverage was perfect.

For the clear coat I used the Testors one and it applied like any other clear. The project is a two tone with Tamiya Pearl White and had no problems with Testors Clear over Tamiya. Again I made several passes with the clear can and it went on smooth and dried very quickly.

I did try a second application of clear a couple of days later and was afraid that it was creating a rough finish on the paint but by the time it had tried the finish was smooth.

I would recommend deepening any door/trunk lines before painting.

Nice paint and I hope they'll broaden the range of colors but reduce the metal flake content to make it more suitable for factory stock applications.

robw

I would recommend deepening any door/trunk lines before painting.

thats gonna be alot of work!.... think Johan hearse, lol

thanks to everyone for the advice! I cant for my paint to get here, so I can try it out.

I had also thought of decanting it and spraying it through my airbrush, but mabey I will just use the cans and see what I get.

thanks,

Mike