Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Charger Conversion Part 3

Don B

Hi Everyone,

Well I had the Charger painted Testers 1203 red and Testers Model Master high gloss clearcoat shot through my airbrush. Then it happened!!! I drop the body and chipped it good. Well it went into the purple pond to be stripped. After that I had to start all over again from filling the side marker lights and repriming the whole thing. Again I painted it with the Testors red however this time I used PPG 2001 Urethane Clear. Much harder finish. I love this stuff. Well back to work. Heres some pics. What do you think so far?

Don B

100_5978.jpg

100_5979.jpg

100_5980.jpg

WOW.... that looks really good, would you mind if I ask a a few questions? how many coats did you shoot, time between coats... what psi do you shoot the clear through the air brush, and how much does it run you to purchase the PPG clear set up. Also did you wet sand the clear after applied. Thanks

WOW.... that looks really good, would you mind if I ask a a few questions? how many coats did you shoot, time between coats... what psi do you shoot the clear through the air brush, and how much does it run you to purchase the PPG clear set up. Also did you wet sand the clear after applied. Thanks

Hi Jay,

I shot one coat and waited five minutes then shot one more coat of clear. It dries fast but not as fast as lacquer. I shot it at 25 PSI through my airbrush and then put it in a dehydrator for about 2 hours at 125 degress. It was competely dry and ready to handle. Its not cheap but a quart will last you a lifetime. I bought mine a couple of years ago so I dont know how much it cost today. If you spray medium wet coats and keep it clean you dont have to wet sand it after.

The shine is awesome already. I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions please just ask.

Don B

I use a urethane clear brand called Nasan. It's 2 part, and as many times as I've asked about a recuder, they swear I don't need one with this stuff. It works great. The reason I mention it is that it's only 30 bucks for a quart of clear as well as the bottle of hardner. That's alot less than the DuPont Chroma-clear I was pricing out....by like half. I agree it will go bad before you use it all LOL