Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Fairlane Wagon Interior

I have been looking at the Jimmy Flintstone 64 Thunderbolt wagon resin body ad wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what what would help put an interior together for a stock build? The 64 Fairlane two door sedan would supply much of the interior bucket bucket, but does any one have any suggestions for the front seat and rear cargo area? It's all just a thought right now, but if there is a way to make up a wagon interior, I can see myself going for this project in a stock, four door wagon.

I will not be easy to convert that Thunderbolt wagon to a Stock 4dr.

As for cargo area, Modify the AMT 65 Chevelle or Revelle 66??

Unless you want to try to modify an Older, harder to find AMT 61/62 Buick Special,

or Jo-Han 61/62 Olds F85 Cutlass wagon interior!!

I was interested in that Fairlane wagon body, till I saw it was a Phantom 2dr.

khier, on 04 Nov 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

R&R made a 4DR '64 Ford with interior. Despite all expected inaccuracies it would be closer to reality than a JF phantom.

You are likely right, but the Flintstone wagon has some real possibilities in my mind, even it is just done as a curbside with the windows blacked out and the hood glued closed. I'd want to go at least try to do something more than that with it, but that would be a worst case scenario IMHO. It could be converted to a reasonable facsimile of a four door wagon or a phantom hardtop wagon and still be better than some of the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that is marketed as production kits such as the Testors Camaro Z28 that I opened up recently. :wacko: Wow!!! Talk about a U turn in modeling evolution!!!! It's barely a parts kit IMHO and I have zero interest in spending any time trying to do anything with it. I think that the Fairlane would, even if not totally correct, still make a cute display piece.

I have been looking at the Jimmy Flintstone 64 Thunderbolt wagon resin body ad wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what what would help put an interior together for a stock build? The 64 Fairlane two door sedan would supply much of the interior bucket bucket, but does any one have any suggestions for the front seat and rear cargo area?

You could try grafting on the cargo area from either Revell's '66 Chevelle wagon or AMT's '65 immediately aft of the rear seat if you're using the 2-door's interior tub. The cargo area of wagon's isn't too complex, with two wheel housings, maybe a spare tire hump, and the flat floor.

See this vid review for a clear look at what the '66's floor/cargo area piece looks like: http://youtu.be/yu36XRgnNpQ?t=5m14s

It seems that Perry's Resins casts a '64 Comet wagon that may make for a basis for an interior even though the Fairlane and Comet were built on slightly different platforms as I recall. The Comet is priced affordably and I'll grab one or two of those after Christmas. I really like the Comets of that year as well. Let's see - there's the AMT Caliente hardtop and there was also a convertible, the wagon - all that is needed is for someone to cast a 2 door sedan, four door sedan and the Comet sedan delivery that they should have made - and voilà!! A pretty much complete set!!! Of course one has to have an appreciation for those cars but that would make for a pretty cool display!!

Edited by impcon

I have been looking at the Jimmy Flintstone 64 Thunderbolt wagon resin body ad wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what what would help put an interior together for a stock build? The 64 Fairlane two door sedan would supply much of the interior bucket bucket, but does any one have any suggestions for the front seat and rear cargo area? It's all just a thought right now, but if there is a way to make up a wagon interior, I can see myself going for this project in a stock, four door wagon.

Being that this kit is a Phantom, I am a litle leery of using this one as a basis for a replica stock wagon project. While it looks nice, it would take quite a bit of work to convert the GM roof to a Ford roof, even though the "B" pillars are close.

1964FordFairlane_01_1000-700x410.jpg

I know that Model Car World Resin does the '64 Comet wagon, which is closer to what you want to do that the Flintstone body for such a project. Even if you just purchase an extra interior tub from Dave, and use that as the basis to do the model, using the modified Flintstone body..

64cometwag.jpg

Modelhaus offered a front bench seat for the t-bolt kit. The seam between the seat backs should b puttied for a 4-door application, but it should work.

Ron, Thank you for the input. Your suggestion mirrors my thoughts on the solution to building the Fairlane as something as close to factory stock as possible. I lack the talents of many of the top quality builders here such as yourself but we learn through trying, don't we? Sometime after Christmas, I'll get a Comet to build and see if I can get an extra interior bucket and I already have the Modelhaus seat. I think that making the Fairlane totally accurate will be a bit beyond my abilities, but Ill give it my best attempt to come as close as possible. Thanks for the input guys and hopefully there will be more.

Looking at the photo of the real thing, I'd suggest getting two Thunderbolts and a bunch more photos for research; then use both roofs and interior buckets, narrowing the second roof's C-pillars. Might get you pretty close with some careful measuring. I think the Comet body may be considerably smaller than that of the Fairlane.

Chris, thank you for your perspective. The Comet was built on the Falcon platform where as the Fairlane and the Mercury Meteor indeed were a slightly larger vehicle. The early Mustangs were Falcon/Comet underneath and shared many mechanical components and I believe ( I may be wrong but I believe ) the same inner fenders, firewall, floors and chassis. Given how things seem to work in the model car world as far as pin point accuracy ( or the lack there of ) regarding sizing and proportions of models go compared to the 1:1 cars, I'll buy a Comet in hopes that the interior will perhaps fit. If it doesn't, then that's OK too because I'll just build it as I have a soft spot for the '64 Comet. I had a convertible that I drove years ago that I bought on an abandoned vehicle auction for the unbelievable price of a mere five dollar bill. It needed a transmission and it had some rust on the rear driver's quarter, but aside from that, it drove fine it made a real fun, cheap, summer car with it's little six cylinder and automatic transmission. It was metallic blue with a blue bench seat interior and carried me many miles and gave me lots of pleasure even with it's cosmetic flaws.

The Fairlane conversion may prove to be beyond my capabilities but as said, I'll give 'er my best lick and see what happens even if it ends up being just a phantom two door wagon curbside. There are guys here on this forum who could take that Thunderbolt and do a proper conversion to a four door interior but I am not one of them. At my age, the old peepers aren't what they used to be and the hands are not as steady as they once were - golden years, eh??? :wacko: Maybe as station wagons slowly continue to increase in popularity, someone will cast a four door wagon but for now, this one will have to do. It would be nice to see some really talented builder do this conversion to show what can be done as the Fairlane wagons really are a very nice car - not huge but not small either. Given the prices that the '62. '63 and 65 Fairlanes kits can demand, they obviously have somewhat of a following and have not gone totally unnoticed over the years.

I've been thinking of converting a T-Bolt into a phantom wagon for a while now myself. Sounds like a good winter time project to me. I have a phantom '96 Impala SS wagon in the works. But, it's been on the back burner for while.