Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help deciphering paint instructions

I can't contribute much except to tell you that the H8, H11 etc are references to Gunze Sangyo aqueous acrylic paints. I assume the "+" means you should mix them for the desired result.

If you weren't already aware, Gunze's aqueous line of paint is virtually extinct in the US anymore, so I'd suggest finding more common equivalents, such as Testors' paints. Between their regular line, military colors and metalizers, you should be able to find a good substitute for whatever the directions called for.

As for component painting, never rely solely on instruction sheets. Your best bet is to get as many Google pics of the 1:1 cars as possible and use them to gauge how things should look.

HTH

The instruction sheets have callouts to the colours; some part somewhere should have H4 beside it for the yellow. I would also agree with Monty that the colour callout HA in the instructions should be a 1:1 mix (equal parts of) H8 and H9. Given that it is instructing you to mix equal parts gold and silver I would say the desired result is a natural metal colour.

This page has a colour chart which can list the Gunze aqueous colours and equivalents in your favourite paint brand, be it Testors, Vallejo, Humbrol, etc.

Ahh, ok cool thanks a lot guys.

After a more closer look at the instructions, I see various call outs and referenced them to actual photos of the car to verify that's what they meant. Plus a little common sense as well.

For example the center cap of the steering wheel has H4 (yellow) next to it and the steering wheel itself has H12 (flat black) next to it and those combos make sense to me.

Ok cool, very excited in starting to understand this now.

Thanks again for such a quick response. I kinda feel like this is "The Modelers Tech Support Hot Line" :D

Edited by aurfalien

Ok, 1 more question, so when it says H[12] 33 is that H12+H33 at 1 to 1 being flat black + russet? Seems like an odd color not to mention a fortune in paint?

The example I gave is the 5th down in the color direction link I posted.

Edited by aurfalien

H[12] Is Aqueous Hobby Color flat black. Number 33 is also flat black in the Mr. Color line of paints.

The first column in the color callout lists the Hobby Color line of paints, the second column lists the Mr. Color equivalent, you can use either one.