Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits At 1970s Prices!!!!

Came across a clearance sale of the following 1/25 scale kits for the unheard-of price of just 28 bits, that's ($3.25) each. If I remember correctly, this is about the same price kits were selling for the the early 60s!!!

Four kits are AMT/Ertl and two are Revell. All are skill level 2.

For the price, how could you go wrong?

Which would you say is THE BEST kit of the group?

Thanks for looking!

AMT/Ertl

Street Custom Cat Mercury Cougar Street Machine

301337756.jpg

Street Custom 1977 Ford Mustang II

301338358.jpg

The Fast and the Furious 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

301338702.jpg

AMT Classic 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline

301338744.jpg

Revell

Basic Builder Corvette StingRay III

301340013.jpg

California Wheels 2'n1 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396

301340024.jpg

I'm not saying this because I have any problem with Fords.... I'm building a couple now. However, of this group, the Chevy's all look more interesting. The '51 Chevy and the Monte Carlo look particularly nice. The '67 Chevelle is a classic too.

However, for the money you're talking about, why not get them all?

Would you mind telling us where you found this deal?

--ron

Check your local Big Lots store. I am willing to bet that they have a selection of AMT kits for $5.00 or less if they have not been all bought out yet. I would also check the clearance section at your local Hobby Lobby. About 4 months ago they clearanced out AMT kits at $1.75 each. I filled up a cart full and left out of there w/about 40 kits!!! It was a good day!!!!! KT

I have 5 or 6 Hobby Lobbies around me. Helps to live in the home city of said company. Right now, I have seen, a Tamiya yellow Enzo for 11.00$; Revell 41 Willys, Shelby Cobra, 66 GTO, Dodge VTS and Fairlane Thunderbolts for around 3.50$ A slew of AMT stuff mainly 72 GTOs for the same price. Some of the Aoshima TE37s and Kranez LXI for 3.50 to 5.50$ I picked up a Tamiya 1/35 M1A1 for 12.00$ and several of their modern gear sets for 3.50$. They have yet to have any of the new Revell 32 Sedans. They have just gotten a shipment of the new Stephen Int. stuff; MPC Switchers, 34 Slammer, Super Modifieds and such. I haven't made it to their clearance wharehouse yet. I plan to run by this weekend.

Since I'm disabled, my only income is SSDI, which is very minimal. But when you can purchase ANY kit for only $3.50, buy them all! The way I see it, even if the kit is not one in which you would build....the parts alone are worth the frugal cost! In my area of the country, most new kit releases were retailing for around the $2.00 figure in the mid to late 60's, being alive at that time and purchasing them. I have the original box in which one of my Jo-Han 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury's came in (my first 1.1 car) and it is coded on the box ends at the bottom (kit #C-1565). The retail cost from Jo-Han was $1.49! Just my two cents worth. :) Fury3

Edited by fury3