Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ohio George's Malco Mustang Gasser

Hi I am looking for the correct light silver blue metallic for the Ohio George Mustang Gasser. I have tried Testers silver blue, which is actually too green. I also tried duplia color which is too dark. Has any one build the MPC kit and found the right color?

I was lucky enough to see the car in 1969 at US 30 dragstrip and remember the color and am just to anal to accept anything that doesn't look close.

Thanks in advance.

I'm about to start on this kit and I have experimented with different paint. The best I've come up with this . I use Testors One Coat Lacquer a lot so I painted a body with One Coat Diamond Dust, followed by a light coat of Icy Blue. It came out pretty good. When spraying the Icy Blue ,spray just enough to cover the body. If you spray to much , it will get too dark. It would probably be easier to spray the Icy Blue with an airbrush, for better control, but Igot pretty good results with the can.

I've got the kit, and I'm planning on using a Competition Resins body, which is more accurate than the kit body. For those of you planning on getting the Competition Resins body, it is intended for building the RESTORED version of the car, which is part of the collection at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, which is currently undergoing renovation. Before the museum closed, I went and shot a ton of pictures of the MALCO Gasser.

Ed, I'm not sure if it was the same race I attended, but he was racing Jr. Thompson's Opal Kadet on the day I was there. It was my very first time at a drag race.

a

Aaron if my memory serves me right that is who he raced. Boy those were the days. I would love it if the track was still open. Sunday Sunday, Sunday. I spent so many hours there.

Thanks for posting

I've got the kit, and I'm planning on using a Competition Resins body, which is more accurate than the kit body. For those of you planning on getting the Competition Resins body, it is intended for building the RESTORED version of the car, which is part of the collection at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, which is currently undergoing renovation. Before the museum closed, I went and shot a ton of pictures of the MALCO Gasser.

Thanks Maxx. It would be fun to see your pictures. Thanks for the info on the comp Resins body. I was not aware that the museum had closed. Is it gone forever? If so I am really bummed.