Model Cars Magazine Forum

Late Introduction

Hello, thought I would take a little time and give a late introduction. I am a combat disabled vet, with 19.5 years of service. I have served in Afghanistan, Iraq, Panama, and Egypt. I was an MP, Motor Transport operator, Motor Sergeant, Operations NCO and Mechanic. Most of my time was spent in the US Army Reserves; however I spent a great deal of my time on active duty in one way or another. As a civilian I spent about 22 years driving tractor trailers. I started out pulling tankers hauling fuel, moved to LTL/Package, then truck load, flat beds, back to LTL, and then to finish I was pulling a reefer. My first “paying” job (I learned to drive in a company truck but was not payed) I drove a retired Schneider IH Transtar II. I used this to pull tankers hauling fuel/oil for the CSX Rail Road for a man out of Baltimore MD. I also spent some time in Baltimore pulling RR Pigs and Containers.

My trek in truck modeling began when my wife bought a box of truck kits at a yard sale. It had a couple unbuilt kits and several glue bombs; I have made some trades and had a few donations to get me started.

My goal in truck modeling is to model a company that only existed in my head. The primary colors are Light and Dark Blue; Fleet will be mostly Kenworth and Peterbilt with a few oddballs. Trailers will be mostly reefers (all sizes), with some containers mixed in. The company, knowing the trucking economy the way that it is, diversified – operating a cold storage facility as well as its own rail siding (for both the cold storage and loading unloading trailers/containers. As you can see I dream big, so the diorama will be BIG, I can’t see just letting them sit on a shelf, they need to look like they are working. Next to the terminal will a small Pilot Truck stop, 3 or 4 pumps and only about 4 or 5 parking spaces. The garage I am currently using (made out of a card board box) will be on the other side of the terminal and with be operated by a small mom and pop shop when I build the terminal.

Trucks I want to have on display besides my company trucks will be an Interstate Motor Freight, Consolidated Freightways, and a Pilot fuel truck. I may add a few others in time but I think I have a big enough goal for now.

That’s about it, if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I do spent a lot of the time in the hospital (seems like a lot lately) so I am not as quick to reply at times.

Cliff

Welcome Cliff. Thanks for your service. You guys dont get enough recognition. When i pass a convoy of milatary vehicles, i wave at all them, even give them a blast of the horns when i can. I kinda have an idea for a big dio myself. I want to do a truck show. It only makes sense for me since i build mainly show trucks. From what ive seen of your truck shop it pretty good, i wouldnt have known it was cardboard had you not said anything. I would like to do a Chrome Shop Mafia type shop dio, maybe 2016 will be the year for that. I look forward to seeing what you come up with and i will help whenever possible. Again, welcome and THANKS man!

VERY, VERY COOL! Thanks for serving and sharing. Prayers are with you battling the VA and other fronts.

You got a fantastic idea. A 4x8 sheet of plywood and a couple of saw horses could make a heck of a diorama "base" starting point.

Would love to see some pix of what your are starting with and be far to eager to poke my nose in where it doesn't belong and offer unsolicited suggestions....LOL

Lots of really encouraging and talented guys here that don't pass judgment. A great, non destructive place to hang out where (I think) it becomes more about respecting the talents and abilities we do have and trying to do just a little bit better each time...regardless of where you are starting at. In short, a safe place to get a little breeze blown up your skirt when it seems everything else is crashing down.

Peace brother, I welcome a PM anytime and would enjoy hearing some of the adventures.

Cliff, glad you chose to stick around, great group of 'truck' guys here, and your plan sounds terrific!

I too would like to say thanks for serving, I get to do what I want to do thanks to people like yourself.

so, what's on the bench now? :)

I'll have to give a great big motivatin' OOORAH !!!!! to you, Man.....Welcome aboard.....Can't wait to see what you do with those big ideas you have.....Something I'd like to do, myself.....If I only had the room.....Too many grown kids living here..... :) God bless you, Man..... Always good to know the vets on here....As you may have guessed, I'm an old Marine......Well.....A 46 year old Marine, anyway..... ;)