Model Cars Magazine Forum

Belly tank size for lake racer?

I want to build a lake racer from an airplane belly tank but I have no idea what scale airplane I should get a tank from to build a 1/25 scale car. Most of the airplane kits I see look to be 1/48 scale but I have very little knowledge on airplane sizes to know if that is the proper scale for the car I want to build. Anyone have an idea on this? Do any of you also build planes that may have the correct size belly tank you would consider parting with so I don't have to buy a whole kit just to get the tank?

The big P-38 tank that is indeed the most common tank used is about 36" in diameter at its widest point, and about 13 feet long.

In 1/25 scale, that's about 1.44 inches wide at the fattest point, and about 6.5 inches long.

You'd need a 1/25 scale P-38 tank. Nobody makes a 1/25 or 1/24 scale P-38, so use the dimensions above or the resin source southpier provided.

Here's one Bernard Kron built on this very forum. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=62305

Edited by Ace-Garageguy