Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions....Needing some tips with cleaning like thinners etc...

Hey everybody I'm new to model cars and such. I've got a couple projects but they haven't been turning out the way I like so i figured I want to completely start from scratch. What would you guys think to do to completely strip everything off like paints, laquers, super glue, all that kinda stuff. Should i Just get some paint thinner and let it all soak in it or would it hurt anything? I'm open to all suggestions so every little bit of advice would help greatly.....Thanks guys :):):):)

First of all, welcome to the hobby, and to this Forum.

Get some Purple Power cleaner/degreaser and a tupperware-like container. Pour in the Purple Power, put in the body and/or parts and let it all sit in there for a day or 2. Then take the parts out and scrub them under warm running water using an old toothbrush. Let everything air dry for a day or so and then you'll be good to go to reprime and repaint. You won't get super glue off that way though. To do that you'll have to get some super glue Debonder. You're well-stocked LHS (Local Hobby Shop) should have that, or you might find it at either Lowe's or Home Depot. Apply the debonder to the joints where the superglued parts are joined together using an old paintbrush. It may take more than one application to be able to separate the parts cleanly. Good luck with your project.

Yes, welcome Taylor. Glad to have you tune in. Lots of good people and info here. :)

May I respectfully suggest you read through the 23 page thread right here on the forum that goes into your question in some depth. Click here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83153

If you look through it and still have some specific questions, I'm sure folks here will happily provide any answer you might need. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thank you everybody for the advice I MIGHT do these tips, I forgot to add that I cant't afford the normal things for the hobby so I try to find more ordinary/cheaper alternatives :D

You could always get some Easy Off oven cleaner. It's a pretty good paint remover, as well as brake fluid. As far as glue goes, that's a little tougher. steve

If your using the easy off make sure it's in a well vented area the stuff is nasty. It works well but use gloves and a respirator .

I put everything in a gallon ziploc bag, spray in the oven cleaner and seal it up, then the fumes (which I've found are as effective as the actual liquid) are contained.

When it's done I just open the bag and fill it with water and dump the slurry out, and rinse the body or parts with water. I don't even need to use gloves that way. I also rinse out the plastic bag so it can be re-used.