Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt question

Hallo guys

I have a question about the Peterbilt suspension. I want to know up to which weight the different suspension types can be used.

First one is the old one from the Peterbilt 359 from AMT with the small window? The same one as Italeri uses on their standard frame.

The second one is the one from the newer 359 from AMT and from the Revell 359?

I hope the experts here have some answers for me. I am planning to build up a 351 used as tractor for heavy logging trailers.

Thanks for your efforts.

So long

Arnd

The Peterbilt air bag set ups are typically 40000 pound rears. The Hendrickson extended leaf and rubber mount usually have a higher weight capacity. It gets much more technical when you start figuring in weight limits of tires, state laws and so on. But hope that gets the gist of your question.

Arnd, I wouldn´t use any air suspension for a logging application of Peterbilt 351. Especially if you want a heavy set up. The Hendrickson rubber block would be a better choice. I am not an expert by any means but the air suspension of AMT´s small window Peterbilt 359 is one of the oldest types of air ride, called Stabilaire. I don´t think it would withstand the heavy work in the forest.

Todays air systems are much more advanced but the 351 era is something else.