#1 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

I bought the revell 79 camaro and when I looked at the instructions for the race version I had a big laugh. Like some guy is going to run a blown 350 threw a stock exhaust with a cat converter. I know a lot of hours use solder for headers and pipes. I priced some the other day and it's not cheap! A guy like me who learns through mistakes would probably waste a lot of it until I got it right. It looks like an expensive learning curve. Do you guys use anything else for exhausts? Something a bit cheaper? For those guys who use solder am I right in guessing you use the rosin core stuff? does the acid core have a negative effect on models after time?

#2 camarofreak82_427

camarofreak82_427

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Full Name:brandan pyles

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

I buy thin aluminum tubing n bend it to fit make sure u have somthing to bend it round if u use ir hand ot will crease it works great ive not tried using solder

#3 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:48 AM

I've been working with .060" iron tie-wire (baling wire) for 1.5" headers. It's really cheap. Tougher to bend than solder though. Also having good results with .095" aluminum welding rod (because I have it in the 1:1 shop) for the rest of the exhaust system....it will polish up like stainless if that's what you want. Naturally, being solid, neither of these collapse when you bend them.

Acid core solder only has a negative effect on whatever is soldered. It's NOT to be used for electrical work...primarily it's used for plumbing.

#4 roadhawg

roadhawg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Full Name:Tommy Logan

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

I've always used solid core solder, but it can be a little hard to find. Do not use acid core, the stuff will leak out and affect any painted or chrome parts. Trust me, I know. I've heard others that have used "armature wire" from a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels, it's in the floral dept. I think.
The easiest solution is to just use a set of headers from another kit.

#5 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,768 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

K&S Engineering sells a package of 3 aluminum rods, which is great for exhaust tubing. It bends easily, buy isn't super soft (not as soft as solder), and each piece is 12" long or so. I've seen it at Hobby Lobby, too.

#6 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

I use evergreen styrene rod to build my headers, .060 for small blocks and .080 for big blocks. It does take some practice,but well worth the effort IMO. Another option would be to find a set of headers from another kit. Maybe put up a want ad?

#7 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

One of my old friends here turned me on to armature wire. Any craft store should have it, and in a variety of sizes. It went immediately into the "this stuff rocks" category.

http://www.dickblick.../armature-wire/

#8 Daf57

Daf57

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Full Name:Daffydd Morgan

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Interesting topic. I've read some other threads that mention using solder for the exhaust pipes and I would like to see this in action. Would someone who has done so please post some pics? I'd also be interested in seeing how the solder and armature wire looks as a exhaust pipe. Thanks!

Edited by Daf57, 05 November 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#9 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

that armature wire looks like the way to go. $4 for 20 ft. the price is right that is for sure

#10 nate47

nate47

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Full Name:Nate Henderson

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

I"ve also been wondering about using solder. I've got a large roll of solid core solder. I think it would be the perfect size for 3" exhaust. I was wondering if you guys did something to connect the headers to the flanges at the block, or mufflers. I would assume you could just heat it for a second and connect it.

I was also wondering about using solder to make a roll cage/roll bar, could you cope the solder and heat it to connect the pipes, or do you just glue it?

Thanks guys!