Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flat Tire Look

i have used heat to get one part of the tread to the point of melting and then press the tire flat onto a hard surface. if you do it just right, the melted part will sort of ooze out the side and look just like a buldging flat tire. warning-you might not want to try this if the tires are hollow molds.

Shhhhhh...I was thinking of using my wifes iron to heat the tire until it is flexible enough to change the shape. I will put a piece of wax paper over the iron first so as not to have melted black plastic on my wifes iron. ;)

Edited by Avgwarhawk

I need to get clearer pics of the finished product, but IMO I got good results using a 2" putty knife heated with a propane torch to flatten the tires on my junkyard Charger.

DSCN0752_edited-vi.jpg

Like a previous poster, I also moved the tire while melting it to produce more material on the front side. I fit a socket into the tire to help preserve the wheel opening shape, and snapped a 3" extension into the socket for easier/safer handling during the melting process.

Edited by VW Dave

Shhhhhh...I was thinking of using my wifes iron to heat the tire until it is flexible enough to change the shape. I will put a piece of wax paper over the iron first so as not to have melted black plastic on my wifes iron. :D

I would suggest a bandana between the iron and the wax paper. To keep the wax off the iron, so it doesn't get transfer to the first piece of clothing ironed... ask me how i know :lol:

Hi,

A technique I use is splitting the bottom of the tire in the middle to make it more pliable. After all a real flat tire is hollow. Then I heat it up some with a lighter. After all of this when I have time I try to make copies out of a mold and keep them in my storage cabinet. I hope this helps!

although not 100% correct, adjust the suspension to lower that one wheel, & then sand / or slice off the appropriate amount of tire to make it 'flat'

DSC04885.jpg

OMG! you used one of those rare MPC Denman funny car tires for that!:) That is some very realistic looking rust though.

oldscool

Edited by oldscool

OMG! I only had one @ the time (about 6-7 years ago) & it fit the wheel I wanted to use perfectly.

I probably shouldn't mention the other one that got torched & ruined while trying to accomplish this same look. Advice - be very careful with flames & rubber / vinyl tires....

Thank you on the rust.

Maybe I came across as too serious. You are forgiven sir. That really is the best rust I have ever seen.

grumpy gus