Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bernstein racing calls it quits

MicroNitro

This is sad to hear. I've been saying for a long time, technology is killing many forms of racing. When icons of a sport can no longer afford to race, something is WRONG.

I know technology is great and everyone involved in the sport is looking for a speed advantage, but if this is the outcome, is it really good for racing? If it wasn't for the scoreboards showing the speed, would the fans really notice the difference from say 280 to 330 or whatever they were running before the shortened the tracks? I doubt it, yes the hardcore fans would, but if your a hardcore fan, would you rather see them slow the cars down and see your hero's run a full 1320 or see a smaller field at 1000 ft?

I don't have the answer to the problem, but do cars really need to go that fast? As a kid I loved drag racing, but as the cars got more technical and less indentifiable to what make and model they were, I started losing interest. Going to 1000 feet instead of slowing down the cars was the nail in the coffin for me, I no longer follow drag racing at all.

WOW I MUST be under a rock or sumpthin!!! WHEN did they change a 1/4 mile to a 1,000 feet? Is the GOVERNMENT runnin drag raceing now????

The nitro classes went to 1000 feet immediately after the Scott Kalitta death. I believe it's only the nitro classes at this distance.

Edited by imarriedawitch

Very sad news. If KB doesn't get enough sponsorship, who can?

At the same time, I agree in part with Psychographic. As the cars became more and more technical and less identifiable, they became much less interesting (also much more difficult to replicate in a model)!

I live near Bandimere Speedway and used to live near Infinion (Sears Point). Both have been hosting at least one major NHRA event for years. Over the years, these events have become the least interesting and most expensive to attend.

Long live the sportsman's classes and nostalgia racing!

Kenny called my brothers shop yesterday and said to stop on the new car they were in the mid of building. He said there was not enough money to race anymore. A sad day for drag racing.

Man, that sucks. Kenny is such a cool guy, Met him at Rte. 66 in Joliet ,Illinois...the first year it opened ( used to live less than 2 miles from there!!?? ) He was the only one to take time and talk to me and my younger brother...John Force...NOT...ooooh, Shelly Anderson was really cool too!!

Without getting too complicated about it, this is a problem throughout motorsports, a result of the vast amounts of money and talent that has poured into it since the end of WWII, not just here in North America, but around the world. I agree that it's no fun to see things get so expensive and sophisticated that they lose their way and eventually lack the creative dynamism that may have drawn us to it in the first place. It happens throughout culture, whether it's popular music, the graphic arts, or even the hard sciences. The formula becomes sufficiently well defined that the checkbook rules and it becomes increasingly difficult to innovate.

IMHO, there are two solutions. One has been referred to already, which is to return to the roots of the endeavor, whatever it is. To strip it down to its most basic elements and celebrate them in their simplicity. The other is to discover something about the endeavor, or discover a different endeavor, that is truly new and undeveloped, which is still primitive and ill-defined, where you have a greater chance of being an active part of the process of its evolution.

I think the money and technology issues, while extremely important, are almost an excuse for guys like Bernstein, Prudhomme, et al, who have seen their sport evolve and specialize beyond recognition, and distill itself down to something that no longer has the potential to undergo the dramatic changes they were so fortunate to have experienced. Still, it's very, very sad...

This sad news but my take on the article on NHRA.com is that he and his wife decided to travel and spend time together not the lack of sponsor dollars. See attached link for article.

http://nhra.com/stor...ra-drag-racing/

Either way sad news and hate to see any team close up.

That's what you say to the media, but if you read the first post, it's the truth. The Snake also compalined about the $$$ and the next year he was out. Racing is their life and they want to be involved in some way. Believe me , if a saudi arabian shia with deeeeep pockets gets him a ride

He'll be telling his wife "guess what honey, take a rain check on that trip.

The nitro classes went to 1000 feet immediately after the Scott Kalitta death. I believe it's only the nitro classes at this distance.

Thats correct in the NHRA all nitro classes ( not sure on nostelgia class) were cut the 1000ft due to the death of Scott Kalitta.

As a result here in the UK/Europe FIA rounds we follow the NHRA rules but 1 year behind, It was agreed that Santa Pod & Hockenhiem would stay the full 1/4 and Mantorp & Alstaro would be cut to 1000ft

Mantorp was cut as there was not enough shut down area and Alastaro was cut due to the lack of guard rails after the 1/4 mile.

Mantorp as now lost its FIA licence and the all new Tierp arena as tooks it place, when this was built it was agreed that it would be a full 1/4 for top fuel dragster but weeks before the event opened it was changed to 1000ft

Now our season is over for 2011 its been agreed accross the board the that all FIA rounds in 2012 will be a 1000ft for top fuel. We dont really a fuel funny car class in europe as there are only an handfull of them out its been agreed this can stay a 1/4 until they break the sub 5s et.

Though there as been talks of cutting our top methonal cars down the 1000ft aswell.

One of the main reasons was the drivers all voted for the swap ( its their life behind the wheel at the end of the day) but all our parts our bought from the USA and all most all the parts/set ups and tuning it designed for the 1000ft it was only a matter of time.

I dont really like to get into the argument of 1000ft v 1/4 as i am an hardcore drag racing fan however this year i worked on a top fuel dragster as a cyclinder head mechanic and when i am stood on the start line watching the run from behind i cant tell if they run the 1000ft or 1/4, I am told you can tell the difference aswell from the 1000ft to a 1/4 mile when you service the car as there is a lot less top end waer/damage.

Its sad to see Bernstein call it a day its sad to see but i think he wont be the only one in the current climate and think there will be a few more in europe aswell, this i do hope does not happen as we only have at most a 10 car field on a good race meeting.

I will always remember watching the NHRA when my old Boss Andy Carter ran against Bernstein, I beleive he got to the line first but it was dissallowed as andy crossed the centre line when the panels ripped off the car back in 09