Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi Ken,

The main deck looks correct. Nice and lightly stained, not too much tar between the deck planks, very nice.

Probably a 3 mast ship, it wouldn't be the la Couronne would it? That ship and all of the old vessels had some serious rigging.

Michael

thank you all, correct Michael on Couronne may be left admiralty version not sure. first build was the hms royal william and the difficulty of that kit is really serious. anyone dealing with compound curves can testify to that. to get the stern to look proper takes serious time and effort with alot of scratchbuilding. I'll look to post more and better pics of couronne in the future including hull construction. to be honest just didn't think much interest would be given on a car site, and that's okay because it is a modelcar magazine after all. btw I'm a fan of anyone willing to use their real name on here. too many posers in this world today.

Hi Ken, I think letting it be an Admiralty Model is a great idea. Is the double planking on the hull finished? I've often thought about a ship with just the lower mast mounted. The Admiralty Models are absolutely fantastic, and your model would make a great example.

Your first build was the Royal William? That's a fine ship!

Michael

thank you for the interest Michael, yes the double planking is completed. due to health for a while this was set aside and never completed. and yes the royal william is a major undertaking. I scratchbuilt the entire stern with over 60 pcs. in each eccentric lantern alone. sorry about image quality it's behind glass. surprised anyone knew what I was talking about. most knew it as the hms prince in its original form.

cato you will be disappointed when you see what's in the box. I ordered wood and did alot of scratch building.

No I understand about these. I started a kit of 'The Flying Fish' schooner in the '80's. Had to buy replacement sheet to make my own planks. Left it when I started my 1:1 project.

I ask again, what scale is this? What is LOA?

I can see the difficulty factor now and your obvious great skills.

Ken, you brought a smile on my old face. I built these (well, simple plastic kits) as a kid 40 years ago. The Cutty Sark comes to mind and a couple Men O' War ships. Granted you're on another planet but it's great to see your passion for the subject. Superbly done and congratulations. Cheers, Tim

Thank you Ken. 46" is amazing and a museum piece. Makes my 26" Rolls Royce tiny.

Beautiful work. Post more and better pictures although I know it's hard to photo something that big.

The detail photos would be fine.

BTW - did you scratch build all the blocks in the rigging or are they included?

Edited by Cato