Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting into it, questions. (long read)

So I have built other models before, both glue bombs that I was ahamed to look at. But I'm looking to get into it as a hobby and build cars I like. I'm not exactly into classic cars much anymore unless it's a Datsun, Skyline, or Jag, and I like the tuning side of cars. Stuff like Brz's and its sisters and Nissans (fanboy much? I know.) So I would like to airbrush, since I already have a kit, and I want to make the builds MINE. I don't want to have bone stock, I want enough unused parts at the end of a couple of builds to create a whole new car. So as I looked around, I was wondering about a couple of things.

1. Where should I start? A kit from Wal-Mart? (Ours carries revelle and monogram, plus a selection of testors paint that bores me to death.) I have a kit I want and stuff I want with it.

2. Where should I order from? Ive been looking at Hobbylinc, Spot model, and Amazon.

3. How do I do this on a budget? I can't legally get a job and people refuse to hire me after a recent pedophilia/rape incident within the community. So people won't even let minors mow their lawn, and they don't want to look "pedophily" (as a neighbor called it) I see how much you liad into a build and whoah.

4. Places to get little parts. Stuff like wheels, decals and other tidbits (seats, harnesses, rollbars, interior). I like to add little touches to things.

So I was looking at the Aoshima Subaru Legacy GT and couldn't really find a good place for wheels. Some places seem to have stretch tires but no rims in the right size. And where can I find some Gosh Darn Work TE-37 rt wheels? They seem to be gone, everywhere I look. Thanks in advance.

If you are leaning more towards the Japanese cars, then the US kit companies will have very limited offerings for you. HLJ and other like companies will have more of what you are after but that will be mail order and will require a credit card.

I would pay attention to the trading section and put your wants on there. You might be able to find someone with a kit you want willing to trade for kit that is more easily found by you and therefore a trade could be done.

There are a couple of companies that deal in selling kits from people's personal collections and may have some kits that you are interested in. Fred Sterns, Dean's Hobby Stop, JiminOhio are among the ones that come to mind.

1. Start with something cheap, epescially if you feel you don't trust yourself enough to start with a $70 kit. Look for "Skill Level 2" kits, also 3'n'1s Those have the most parts, including wheels, engine parts, and sometimes complete engines. Look for the basics; 32 ford, 69 camaro, 49 merc, and if you have a Hobby Lobby around you, look in your local newspaper for weekly 40% off coupons.

2. I recommend Amazon, because they are trustworthy and you can read reviews of people who bought the kit, not sure about others.

3. Get the necessities. A good exacto knife, a spray paint can of flat black, red, a blue, and a orange if you want. Buy the Testors Acrylic Starter paint kit. Get a couple cheap brushes; from large to medium to small. Get a cereal bowl that you can use for your water if you get acrylics, if you can't find acrylics, get enamels and a jar of thinner, has a red label with "Testors" on it. And get a good place you can work at, and not worry about spilling paint or cutting into. Find some small tweezers. and you can build your supplies from there.

4. Back to 1. Look for 3'n'1s, go to yard sales if you can and flea markets and look for cheap kits, already built you can take parts from or unbuilt kits in the box, preferably with the plastic wrap intact. Look for Nascar kits, you can basically steal them for $5, it has a beefy engine and you can use parts from those on other cars. Those also have racing seats too. As for harnesses and little things, look around you; you can make harnesses from fabric, and you can make the rollbars from the parts tree (if you trim it down some, it can be done)

As for the wheels... don't know what to tell you. You can post in the "Wanted" section and see if someone has them.

Hope this helped you some,

Glenn

Oh, and to edit your posts, look to the left of the MultiQuote on your post (at the bottom) and click on Edit, then you can edit your posts.

Edited by DynoMight

Simple answer.

Anything and everything you want is available from dozens, if not hundreds, of vendors online. And you can do a price comparison instantly to find the best deal.

Do a google search for what you want, and start shopping.

Simple answer.

Anything and everything you want is available from dozens, if not hundreds, of vendors online. And you can do a price comparison instantly to find the best deal.

Do a google search for what you want, and start shopping.

Keep in mind Harry you are talking to a minor here and he will need his parent's help to purchase items on the internet, but a great suggestion!

Edited by mikemodeler

could be implied by " I can't legally get a job"

anyhow, Owen, go take a look at hobby link japan or even at somewhere like Model Roundup (both on web, google em) and look into the Tamiya or Fujimi kits and you will see lots of stuff you are interested in. lots of Silvias and Skylines and those. hopefully you can find something you can afford there. also since you are in Fallon, keep an eye out for model car swap meets in Reno and also local swap meets, never know what you will find. great place to get kits and parts cheap or free. try to find a local club, there is probably one even if you don't know it, and especially if you include the Reno area. those two things, clubs and model car show/swaps, are the two best sources of tools parts and kits for cheap. also look at this very site and maybe post for parts wanted etc, people are very generous around here.

I thought Fallon really needed a hobby shop!

hope that helps

jb

So I did a little searching, Aoshima releases the wheels I want around late August/early September. And the trade section here would probably be a no go. Parents aren't all on board with forum sales. And Harry P, I'm a minor, turning fourteen on the 25th. They don't like ordering out of the U.S. for some reason, and as I said earlier, don't really like the idea of forum sales. I asked mainly because you guys have been in it so long and I figured you guys would know the best stores. I think I'll go for a cheaper kit, the Tamiya Mugen CRX. Should be what I want, and I'll work my way up to the Legacy. It costs more, so with my lack of money, screw ups cost more.

you sound like a pretty level headed person for 14. good luck and just keep your eyes open when youre out and about, its amazing how model kits can just appear out of nowhere. also you might check with the parents about hobby link japan. its A1 all the way, no funny stuff at all, you can pay with paypal so only paypal knows your credit card info etc. its up and up legit all the way. and they got the good deals on the import scene, stuff you cant get here and also what you can but for a lot less even if you figure in shipping sometimes. use their "personal warehouse" option to gang kits together into one shipment and you save a lot on shipping. and they got the koolest latest Japanese wheels and tires sets.

anyway have fun man and be sure to post your builds in the on the bench and under glass sections

jb

Edit, scratch out Spot Model, they're British. I'm American, I'd rather order from American companies.

Spot Model isn't British... It is Spanish. They supply Zero Paints ( some of the best paint available today ) after Hiroboy ( British ) was unable to supply their paints Internationally because of the English Postal Service.

eBay will have nearly everything you want. Most retailers/hobby shops sell their products there.

You're into "Tuners" & there are several great Hobby on-line retailers, of which I personally have bought from... Hobby Search, Tokyo Hobby & Hobby Link Japan. These retailers stock nearly every new Japanese related kit as well as supplies, wheels etc.

Get your parents to set up a paypal account. You can't go wrong & all purchases are gaurenteed by them. If you limit who you buy from, American only, your budget won't stretch as far as you'd like it to.

Edited by CJ1971

could be implied by " I can't legally get a job"

If he's a kid and doesn't have a job, that has nothing to do with buying online. You don't need to have a job to shop online. Just as you don't have to have a job to shop anywhere. No store that I know of checks your employment status before they'll ring up the sale.

If he's just a kid and his parents won't let him shop online, that's one thing. Whether or not he has a job is irrelevant to shopping online. All you need is a credit card... your own, or someone else's.

And Harry P, I'm a minor, turning fourteen on the 25th. They don't like ordering out of the U.S. for some reason, and as I said earlier, don't really like the idea of forum sales. I asked mainly because you guys have been in it so long and I figured you guys would know the best stores.

I do know the best stores. They're online. As I told you.

If your parents won't let you shop online, I can't help you (and by the way, when I told you that everything you need/want is available online, I had no idea you were a kid. You didn't mention that until after I made my post). If you would have said "I'm just a kid and my parents don't let me shop online," then obviously I wouldn't have told you to shop online.

http://rs1289.pbsrc.com/albums/b512/Owen_Lattin/Mobile%20Uploads/1405989602166_zps542310de.jpg~320x480?t=1405990542 I'm going to see if I can use this paint for the body, tubing underneath if there is any, and the engine bay. And should this cart be good? I have exacto knives, masking , face masks, a spray gun, air compressor, just about everything I think I need. (Pics might not work, if not, I'll link you to photobucket, the 2mg limit is not agreeing with my overly hd camera, and the post might not make sense, it was thrown together in an off and on manner over a time frame of half an hour)

post-14226-0-44802600-1405992568_thumb.p

...If you would have said "I'm just a kid and my parents don't let me shop online," then obviously I wouldn't have told you to shop online.

Harry, what 14-year old says, "I'm just a kid?" :)

Owen, for inspiration, check out member BKCustoms. I think he's 16 or 17 now, but his work as a 14-year old shows what you can accomplish once you get dialed in.

Edited by Lunajammer

Try and find some paints like these (but acrylic, unless you want to buy thinner for the enamels.)

30tjjx1.jpg

They will last longer and are a little less messy. As you get deeper into the hobby, start looking into model master paints and also expand the paints you have.. Hope it goes well, excited to see your comeback kit.

Edited by DynoMight

Harry, what 14-year old says, "I'm just a kid?" :)

He asked what the best places were to buy stuff. I told him.

Then he says "But I'm not allowed to buy on the internet."

Like I said, if I had known that up front, I wouldn't have told him that he can find anything he wants online.

Understand? :rolleyes:

you asked how anyone would know he was a minor not any of that other blah blah blah.

just to let you know, if I were Owen I would be getting kinda alienated right about now with that BS...start being a Richard there harry...especially when you are posting as the admin, which is a whole other topic of discussion. that I am sure we are not going to have.

jb

and Owen, don't get frustrated with paint...its one of the hardest things to master especially if you are using spray cans. so don't feel bad if your first attempts don't turn out as good as you saw in your mind's eye, we all struggle with it.

jb

He asked what the best places were to buy stuff. I told him.

Then he says "But I'm not allowed to buy on the internet."

Like I said, if I had known that up front, I wouldn't have told him that he can find anything he wants online.

Understand? :rolleyes:

Sorry for uncertainty. I meant I can't buy from off here or international. I might be able to sway their opinions but for now I'm stuck to U.S. Sorry for the confusion, didn't mean to start a passive aggressive flame war.

and Owen, don't get frustrated with paint...its one of the hardest things to master especially if you are using spray cans. so don't feel bad if your first attempts don't turn out as good as you saw in your mind's eye, we all struggle with it.

jb

this is just in jest but honestly idk about this statement because I know two youngsters one 10 the other 16 who seriously can spray paint better then I have ever been able too. But if you can shop online with U.S. vendors as you say you should be able to abtain everything you wish to get.

Owen,

First of all, welcome to the forum and even more important, welcome as a young guy passionate about a hobby I started out in over 60 years ago (1952 to be exact)!

Hopefully none of this thread has frustrated nor intimidated you--I really don't think anyone here had that in mind. Now, with what I would assume is a rather limited budget, there are a lot of model car kits out there that probably fit in very well, depending on your particular area of interest. Keep in mind that this is supposed to be a FUN hobby, and for the vast majority of us it is just exactly that--fun (with a few frustrations and the occasional downright failure or even an anger-inducing moment or two along the way, but keep in mind that even life can be that way sometimes.

Above all, don't be afraid to speak up, ask questions (even though this isn't Middle or High School--because that's how you will learn and progress. And even more important, be courageous enough to show us what you build--you'll find that most of the feedback you will receive will be positive, or at least constructive criticism in intent (I am right on that, guys--hmmmmm?).

Art Anderson