Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Cars Best Of

hate to be an okole puka, but only one from each, and that's a tough one, I know

It's tough to narrow it down with some of them.

Dirk and Dwayne, your lists have hit me big time

Dirk, I think there is one or two you left out, but you are too humble :-)

Can't believe it's been a decade since I have been drooling over your work

Hey Gregg, hope all is well!

I see your point on keeping it to one model per person as it would quickly get to 50. I made some edits in my post to include only one per person. I also added Terry Ross' Willys.

Thanks for your encouragement with your comment, however, I don't really think that any of the ones that I left out :o would be up to par for consideration of the top 50 (maybe top 200 or so :lol: ).

I haven't been back into the hobby as long as some of you guys, but have been back since 1992. When I look back at some of the models captured in print, on the internet and that I have personally seen since then, I realize how daunting a task this is. Boy, there are some really exceptional modelers and models that I have personally met and seen since 1992! And when you include the stuff that I wasn't exposed to before then, and the talented bunch of guys that are out there now...

Take care, Buddy!

Edited by ScrappyJ

Greg, I'm also looking at this list as not just the top 50 best models ever built, but the top 50 models that have left a lasting impression on the modeling hobby as a whole. What models have shown unique styling cues and innovation?

Like:

Mike Carrol's Nuclear Waste

Andy Kallen's first Klingon Kruiser award winner

Jim Keeler's Dodge Fever

The Astrodan

The Pegasus

Mark Gustavson's Mercarri

And again, the list could go on and on.

It's builds like these and all of the others listed throughout this post that I draw my inspiration for always trying different building styles.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics. to go with the list.

1_4.JPG

Jairus Watson's 36 Ford woody

1_14.JPG

John Macgowan's 41 Willys

1_32.JPG

John Macgowan's 37 Ford Woody

1_51.JPG

Steve Catron's belly tanker

1_75.JPG

Larry Boothe's 57 T-bird

41wil117.jpg

Steve Mantooth's 41 Willys coupe

GIVE100.JPG

Kenny Reave's Super Cat

37PURP92.JPG

Clyde Alexander's 37 Ford

For me personally, several stand out, but the neatest, coolest model car I have ever seen would have to be Bill Geary's Charger Daytona, ANd his 57 Vette is AWESOME!

Kenny Reeves' Super Cat is still one of my favorites.

Charlie Ryder's Chevelle racecar is astounding!

Ken Hamilton's Camper Diorama is an INCREDIBLE piece, takes HOURS to see all the little details.

Hollywood Jim's....Truck, for lack of a better word, that he sent to B'Ham for the post WWIII theme group. If you haven't seen this, there IS NO WAY to describe it!!!!

Those are the first ones that come to my mind but I am sure I could come up with SO MANY more.

• 2 months later...