Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 2014 "All the Rest" Community Build-Extended to April 31st

mustang1989

• 3 weeks later...

More Headroom!

I decided to make the Saucer about 1/4 inch Thicker. The plan is to glue 1/4 inch Plastic Strips between the top and the bottom of the Saucer.

DSCN6445M_zps5a00244d.jpg

I wrapped the Plastic Strips around small paint bottles to make them curve. Much easier to glue this way.

DSCN6449M_zps5e5f86f5.jpg

I'm using Zap-A-Gap Glue and only gluing part of the Strip at a time, to the bottom of the Saucer.

DSCN6508M_zpsc8bba4b5.jpg

More Coming... B)

STRIPS!

I glued down the second Strip to form a ring.

DSCN6511M_zps25146fef.jpg

I needed to add some thickness to the Ring so I glued 2 Strips, that are half as thick as the first 2, over the first 2 Strips.

DSCN6521M_zps97e11f23.jpg

That was the thickness I needed for a good fit. Next I glued the Top on to the bottom of the Disc. With these modifications and the UFO Saucer Sections in place, the Interior Height of the Saucer is now an inch Taller. The UFO Sections are not glued in yet.

DSCN6530M_zps0f21cd66.jpg

More Coming... B)

Saucer Bumpers!

Here is a photo of the Underside. I am going to use Quarter and Half-Round Strips to finish the outer Edge. I glued 2+ Quarter-Round Strips to the underside of the "Overhang" of the Top of the Dish, all the way around.

DSCN6575M_zps0bff5a80.jpg

Here is the Top side of the Dish. Next I glued 2+ Half-Round Strips to the Edge, right under the Quarter-Round Strips.

DSCN6582M_zps6285c493.jpg

The Side View. Now that the Strips are in place, they kind of remind me of Bumper Car Bumpers.

DSCN6591M_zps37aafa04.jpg

More Coming... B)

My previous WIP post was lost in the recovery from the forum hack, so I am re-posting.

Here are the metallic frame and thruster parts, primed parts that will eventually be painted Testors Navy Gloss Gray, and parts that have been painted in Mr. Color gloss white lacquer. The pistols were painted in Aluminum metallizer, and I plan to detail with gunmetal. Thruster nozzles were rubbed with Tamiya burnt red Weathering Master pastel

1529767_10203948643934527_42959414610852

I can't remember if these pictures were taken when the parts are just primed, or if they were already painted in Testors Gloss Gull Gray.

10733730_10203948642974503_6081370497254

10453090_10203948641734472_5372583272057

I had originally planned on replacing the flight pack with something kitbashed from a modern jet fighter, but I'm not sure I am going to bother anymore. I've begun to think this kit is not worth the extra effort.

I don't have any more recent pics to show, as life has thrown a couple of curve balls my way in the last few weeks.

Martians!

I cut a Spray Can Lid down to fit inside the Saucer to form the Interior.

DSCN6586M_zps13a5f040.jpg

Next I glued a plastic strip around the top of the Lid. This will make it easier to glue the Lid to the Saucer.

DSCN6600M_zpsca020fef.jpg

Martians! Testing the Interior to see how many Martians fit. Looks like a few, we just might have more visitors later...

DSCN6597M_zpsa3864667.jpg

More Coming... B)

Martian Bubble!

I am making the Bubble Top from a half of a Clear Plastic Christmas Ornament. I taped off a half inch section that I want to mark for cutting.

DSCN6926M_zpsae137ad9.jpg

Then I drew a line along the edge of the tape. This will be the guide line for cutting.

DSCN6929M_zpscd9d4e91.jpg

Here it is after I cut the section off with a cut-off wheel in a Dremel Tool.

DSCN6931M_zpsd9d25265.jpg

More Coming... B)

Bubble Ring!

I used some Quarter Round Plastic Strip to make molding around the Bubble Top. First I marked the shape of the Bubble Top. Then I wrapped the Plastic Strip around a small bottle a few times until the Strip held the Round Shape. Then I glued it about an inch at a time, along the line, using Zap-A-Gap Glue.

DSCN6933M_zps57fdc8ca.jpg

Here it is in place. Later I sanded top of the Quarter Round Strip down flat.

DSCN6953M_zpsb58b046a.jpg

More Coming... B)

More Martians!

After test fitting the Martians in the Red Can Lid Interior, I decided there wasn't enough room for 3 Martians and all of the Interior Hardware. So I got a larger lid for the Interior.

DSCN6950M_zpsc68ffff0.jpg

I had to cut out the Top of the Saucer a little to clear the New Bigger Interior.

DSCN6956M_zpsb658fbf9.jpg

I also opened up the UFO Top Part a little more. I may open it up all the way to the Bubble later...

DSCN6967M_zps07e45e49.jpg

Here he is in the New Interior with the Bubble Top in place.

DSCN6961M_zps3c28f2dd.jpg

More Coming... B)

Gangplank!

I am making a Gangplank or Ramp to fill the empty slot on the bottom of the Saucer. I measured the lower area and then cut out a piece of Novelty Sheet Plastic to fill it.

DSCN6970M_zpsf5af706a.jpg

Here it is in place.

DSCN6975M_zps188bfd3f.jpg

Then I cut out another Plastic Piece and glued it in the upper area.

DSCN6978M_zps123d2f10.jpg

More Coming... B)