Model Cars Magazine Forum

Floquil - Opinions

I like them. I use a lot of the primer in my airbrush, it covers very well and is easier than using a spray can. I also like the various shades of silver, like Old silver, etc when I need multiple shades to break up things like exhaust systems. The different shades of black are good when you do not want BLACK but more of a very dark gray, again to give varied shades. They airbursh very well, you can use Testors generic enamel thinner, or the Floquil specific thinner, DIO-SOL.

Edited by kurth

Kurth gave a good synopsis of Floquil ,,, it is very nice paing and has been a staple of railroad modelers for longer than AMT has been producing cars! It go on very well by brush. When I have to brush paint something I pray there's the color I need in Floquil!

Floquil - enamel

Polly Scale - acrylic

Both are very very good paints. I just used the Floquil enamel with the Testors "Universal" thinner and the results were great.

As stated the various colors of black and silver are a plus. I used Grimy Black for the interior of a new Challenger and it contrasts well with the black embossing powder carpet. It is a good representation of the real cars dark charcoal gray interior. I compared it with my B-I-L's car.

G

• You'll likely have a hard time finding the original Floquil paints, as they were discontinued years ago, in favor of water-borne acrylics. Floquil originaly was an alkyd enamel, using a solvent that was nearly as "hot" as any lacquer out there--great paint, dried down in very thin coats, but a bear to use on plastics. Floquil, along with the water-borne acrylic line from Polly S, were acquired by RPM, who also owns Testors along with Krylon and Duplicolor, the Floquil model railroad colors being spun into the Polly S water-born acrylic line over 15yrs ago. Almost all the original Floquil paints were flat finish, and as far as I know, Floquil-Polly S still is as well.

Art

Floquil's selling point was their pigment size which allowed the painter to apply a "scale coat" (thickness) to the model. oddly enough, there was also a Scale Coat paint somewhere along the way.

i think their doom was the volitility of vehicle - and that awful thinner. one of the seven deadly household chemicals we all grew up with under the kitchen sink - tuolene. the stuff could be used for dry cleaning fluid.

if opinions are asked, my vote is to stay away even though it's been reformulated. use acrylic. (polly s, tamiya, whatever else is out there) think of the cumulative effects of this, and every other chemical you're exposed to in a lifetime.

know any old body men who smoke cigarettes?

Addendum: the very next thread i read http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67218&hl= see post 'lucky' #13.

Edited by southpier