Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help with 50's Car Headlights

which, by the way, is what AMT originally put in the kit. i don't know how much success you've had using plain Elmer's Glue (i am assuming it's the white stuff) but it doesn't have much "grip" on styrene. it has been used for temporary assembly by many builders, but IMHO it will not hold up.

i don't know how much success you've had using plain Elmer's Glue (i am assuming it's the white stuff) but it doesn't have much "grip" on styrene... but IMHO it will not hold up.

These headlights were done with an Elmer's-type PVA glue 2 years ago. They still look exactly like this...haven't fallen out. It doesn't take any strength to hold headlight lenses in place, and it dries perfectly clear.

DSCN5573.jpg

You can do a very nice "chrome" reflector with the shiny side of aluminum foil.

. . . Interesting I may very well try that. Thanks

which, by the way, is what AMT originally put in the kit. i don't know how much success you've had using plain Elmer's Glue (i am assuming it's the white stuff) but it doesn't have much "grip" on styrene. it has been used for temporary assembly by many builders, but IMHO it will not hold up.

As far as I can see, there isn't a Chromed out piece/s for the heads in the chrome molds I am looking at. In the past I have had success with Elmers to a degree. . At least so long as I don't drop the model it's fine.

These headlights were done with an Elmer's-type PVA glue 2 years ago. They still look exactly like this...haven't fallen out. It doesn't take any strength to hold headlight lenses in place, and it dries perfectly clear.

DSCN5573.jpg

That is a Nice build!. . And exactly the headlight reflection I am looking for.

I use the Testors clear parts cement all the time. Essentially Elmer's glue with a little more initial hold. Works great for head & taillights as well as small parts like mirrors & antennas, license plates, etc. Nice thing is, if you get a little glue on your finish, it's not such a catastrophe! Relatively easy to remove. Steve

You can also try putting some BMF in the headlight bucket for the "chrome" backing to the lens.

I've had great success using clear enamel paint as the glue to attach the clear headlight lenses. If you've ever fought with the stuck-on lid of a jar of paint then you know that dried paint makes an excellent glue. I'll usually run a bead of clear enamel around the bezel where the lens sits using a toothpick. Let the clear enamel dry overnight and you're all set.

is this the AMT kit or the Revell? the AMT has stock and "frenched" headlight buckets on the chrome tree.

This is a Fevell Kit. The headlight buckets on this kit where not chromed out. . I used MCM Ohana's suggestion with Aluminum Foil which I cut and glued to the buckets So far so good.

I use the Testors clear parts cement all the time. Essentially Elmer's glue with a little more initial hold. Works great for head & taillights as well as small parts like mirrors & antennas, license plates, etc. Nice thing is, if you get a little glue on your finish, it's not such a catastrophe! Relatively easy to remove. Steve

I need to start looking at other items available for modeling. Thanks for the tip.

You can also try putting some BMF in the headlight bucket for the "chrome" backing to the lens.

I've had great success using clear enamel paint as the glue to attach the clear headlight lenses. If you've ever fought with the stuck-on lid of a jar of paint then you know that dried paint makes an excellent glue. I'll usually run a bead of clear enamel around the bezel where the lens sits using a toothpick. Let the clear enamel dry overnight and you're all set.

Unfortunately I only have Black Chrome BMF at this time. That is another great suggestion, thanks.