Model Cars Magazine Forum

Transtar C-O 4070A Rebuild

This is one my favorite coe's for a classic look. I acquired a old built up in a trade that need some tlc and bought another off ebay (which was a glue bomb) to try and combine the two. Truck from trade had a two piece front axle , ebay truck axle was complete but shipped in a box with no protection. Its axle turned into a three pieces.

P1173796.jpg

The frame had a slight tweak to it , just enough to annoy me. I cut the rear suspension off and worked the twist out (mostly)

I punched out 4 round disk to compensate the air bags from the saw cut.

P1183800.jpg

I have a vision of a 1970's era OTR customized truck for this one with some truck stop bling to personalize it for the driver.

Currently I plan on using rear two holer's (which will be chrome) from Double -Take Replicas.

The cab is in a bath of Simple Green along with many other parts.

Hope you find this one interesting. :)

Edited by Old Buckaroo

This is one my favorite coe's for a classic look. I acquired a old built up in a trade that need some tlc and bought another off ebay (which was a glue bomb) to try and combine the two. Truck from trade had a two piece front axle , ebay was complete but shipped in a box with not protection. Its axle turned into a three pieces.

P1173796.jpg

The frame had a slight tweak to it , just enough to annoy me. I cut the rear suspension off and worked the twist out (mostly)

I punched out 4 round disk to compensate the air bags from the saw cut.

P1183800.jpg

I have a vision of a 1970's era OTR customized truck for this one with some truck stop bling to personalize it for the driver.

Currently I plan on using rear two holer's (which will be chrome) from Double -Take Replicas.

The cab is in a bath of Simple Green along with many other parts.

Hope you find this one interesting. :)

How did you "punch" out disks for the air bags, I've been trying to make disks out of styrene with not so great luck.

Edited by guitarsam326

Leather punches work on styrene. I bought a set of them online years ago for making gaskets and whatnot. Turns out, the part that normally gets thrown away is useful for that.

Yes leather punches work excellent for that.

While I am not an advocate of poorly made chinese tools a simple punch set like this can be purchased at the "Harbor Fright" store for around $6.00

P1193805.jpg

I suggest using a round needle file to remove the burrs on the cutting edge and also some fine sandpaper .

Getting the disk out is a little bit of a challenge - I use a dull awl and push the disk to where it rotates to where I can grab it out of the tip with tweezers. A little clean up with a sanding stick to remove the fuzz on the disk and all is good !

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Mark - that is a terrific picture. I hope you do build that up someday.

I have a lot of respect for those of you that rebuild / restore old models. There is a lot more work involved then building a kit out of the box.

Out of two models I am still going to come up short on parts, lots of little items will need to be fabricated.

Forward progress,

the cab is out of the tub of SImple Green and pretty cleaned up.

As mentioned earlier "I have a vision of a 1970's era OTR customized truck for this one"

and this is how it is looking right now.

P1193802.jpg

What is that ?

You have Never seen a double bunk IH ?

The cab length measures out to 115 "

Either your not old enough to remember or you have forgotten the era of real custom trucks.

My friends I present you the picture I borrowed from an ebay auction that is the inspirition for this project.

IH2.jpg

I am awestruck everytime I look at that Black truck.

On the plus side I now have a IH 4070 A daycab for another project. ;)

Edited by Old Buckaroo