Model Cars Magazine Forum

Death Race build?

i am so ready to get this puppy going

i have a kit picked (not purchased)

weapons thought out (nothing build yet)

paintsceme thought of (honoust how hard is "flat black")

choosen a name "project hazmat"

bored the wife to tears with talk of how it will be

so im ready

only a few more ideas/suggestions as far as rules go

first of, i think this is something that requires pics

maybe at least one from the unbuild kit and a preset number of WIP pics ?

specially for those who decide to build armoury from scratch this would be interesting for the rest of us

i think it would also be a good idea to give a detailed list of modifications once the build is submitted

that way no one will have to guess that those tail pipes are machine guns :rolleyes:

and finally, no military vehicles

that means no on the HUMVEE yes on the H1-3 ?

Love 'PAINKILLER' and the wip pix, ###### Cranky! ;) I figgered you'd have something along these lines! Didn't you post up a 57Chevy kinda desert-stormin kinda beast before? B)

I think you are thinking of my Gunslinger.

000_0254.jpg

This was done for the Post WW3 CBP on the other magforum.

As for this little build off- count me in. Now the planning begins..................................

What was the determination on kit supplied or kit bashed weapons? Or are we just scratching them?

As for the end date, I'm not a quick builder, but this might go faster that your average build. So Dec would probably be okay- but March would be better.

I think you are thinking of my Gunslinger.

000_0254.jpg

This was done for the Post WW3 CBP on the other magforum.

As for this little build off- count me in. Now the planning begins..................................

What was the determination on kit supplied or kit bashed weapons? Or are we just scratching them?

As for the end date, I'm not a quick builder, but this might go faster that your average build. So Dec would probably be okay- but March would be better.

Tanks fer postin yer 57 up again Rob. Sorry bout my thingkin DC done builded it, but........just read my signature--been offd my meds for bout 6 motns or yearsn? B) Anyhowd, yer Gunslinger don't look as good outa it's elekment--but it still look good.

Seems we're all awaitin to hear from Kasteer so's we can start, but in his last post he sayd he be leaving the armour up to us bulders--howsomesoever we wants to do em. Caint wait to see what ya comes up wit ;)

I'm planning a 55 Ford Coupe (the Shoebox pro-mod kit) on a stock car chassis and a 427 hemi, all outa the parts box. The rest of the build is still in the brain-storm phase. Most likely no interior detail though, since it's a chopped body and most the windows will be closed up anyway.

EDIT- change of plans. The pro-mod body is such a glued up mess, my son build it about 5 years ago, he was 10, that the things I want to do to it would take twice the work. So I'm going to use the AMT 2005 Chrysler 300C.

Edited by Jantrix

I'm planning a 55 Ford Coupe (the Shoebox pro-mod kit) on a stock car chassis and a 427 hemi, all outa the parts box. The rest of the build is still in the brain-storm phase. Most likely no interior detail though, since it's a chopped body and most the windows will be closed up anyway.

i thought about that but i am only going to close my rear window

the front and sides i will iether leave open or put removable armour on because i do have one or two ideas that are essential to the car, that need to be worked out in the interior

mine will be a charger by the way, but that is all i am saying B)

Hey guys I just had a brainstorm(my wife says it was more of a brain fart but,whatever ;)B) ) How bout we coincide the start of the buildoff with the movie premiere Aug 22. that way it gives everyone about another week or so to get all there stuff together. just a thought

Edited by The Madhatter

Hey guys I just had a brainstorm(my wife says it was more of a brain fart but,whatever ;)B) ) How bout we coincide the start of the buildoff with the movie premiere Aug 22. that way it gives everyone about another week or so to get all there stuff together. just a thought

works for me

we should really get some ground rules laid out

so far this is what we have (if every one agrees)

objective: to build a car that could (or has) compete in a demolition derby type free for all race. armed with horse power and fire power the car will need to be able to destroy opponents it cant outrun?

the vehicle: anything civilian of your own choice, hot rod, import, american muscle, car, truck, suv or econobox. as long as it is not a militry kit

scale: anything goes? (i would prefer a 1/24-1/25 scale to level the playing field but that is just me)

armour: home made or kit bashed, basically anything goes.

build time: we start on august 22 end by december 31? (seems like plenty of time to me but this is my first build of too so...)

records: i say we show WIP pics at every important step as well as one or two shots of the unstarted kit.

i would also say we write a little biography of the car to explain the choice of car, armour and modifications (just so we can fully explain what we did to it)

there was some mention of this being a curbsite buildof?

to be honoust, not a clue what that means

thoughts?

works for me

we should really get some ground rules laid out

so far this is what we have (if every one agrees)

objective: to build a car that could (or has) compete in a demolition derby type free for all race. armed with horse power and fire power the car will need to be able to destroy opponents it cant outrun?

the vehicle: anything civilian of your own choice, hot rod, import, american muscle, car, truck, suv or econobox. as long as it is not a militry kit

scale: anything goes? (i would prefer a 1/24-1/25 scale to level the playing field but that is just me)

armour: home made or kit bashed, basically anything goes.

build time: we start on august 22 end by december 31? (seems like plenty of time to me but this is my first build of too so...)

records: i say we show WIP pics at every important step as well as one or two shots of the unstarted kit. i would also say we write a little biography of the car to explain the choice of car, armour and modifications (just so we can fully explain what we did to it)

there was some mention of this being a curbsite buildof?

to be honoust, not a clue what that means

thoughts?

I hearby solemnly swear that I, ######'n Blaque, agree with these terms, and can't freakin wait to start on 8-22-08 <_<:(

Woo-hoo, Aug 22 is the start of a 4-day weekend for me, so I'm likin that.

The rules are also okay with me.

Also, as for paint, I'm thinking of something more like the Deathrace 2000 cars. The whole industrial flat black idea seems too easy, and I've done something similar recently. I'll kick it around some. More later.

100_0537.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Cool. So rules are set. But lets push the end day out a little for those who take more time to build... Lets say March 1st????

I like the idea of writting up a description at the end about the car...

We need to start a thread in the On The Workbench section for this I think. Should we start that on Aug 21st or 22nd?

Let the Pain begin!

Hey guys I just had a brainstorm(my wife says it was more of a brain fart but,whatever :P:P ) How bout we coincide the start of the buildoff with the movie premiere Aug 22. that way it gives everyone about another week or so to get all there stuff together. just a thought

I think we should go with what The fartin Madhatter :P suggesteds-

-buildoff coinciding with the movie premiere.

First posts August 22cd--unasssembled kit(s)?

I also think yer end date of March 1 is way cool, Eric.

I just looked back thru the posts and looks like:

Kasteer

Evilone

Diymirage

Aaronw

######'n Blaque

Willy Survive

Texas Funk

Jantrix

The Madhatter

That's 9 of us rarin to go. Aint sure bout Olle F, Nick F40, or ###### Cranky---you guys in on this? :blink:

Sure, I'm in on it . . . and I think these progress pics speak of my commitment to pain killing! :blink::P:P

Hopefully if it stops raining in Florida long enough, I might be able to primer the parts I have ready. Here's a closeup of some of the damage this sucker's taken in skirmishes . . .

IMG_0012-vi.jpg

And some chain keeps the meat tenderizer up front from falling off . . .

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

Wow Cranky that looks FREAKIN SWEET !!! Post pics of unbuilts on Aug 22. Sounds awesome and by the way my wife already hates this idea cause I can't stop talking about it. Thats ok...I hate Julia Roberts movies too....Doesn't mean I don't get stuck watching them. -Will

Edited by Willy Survive

Cool. So rules are set. But lets push the end day out a little for those who take more time to build... Lets say March 1st????

I like the idea of writting up a description at the end about the car...

We need to start a thread in the On The Workbench section for this I think. Should we start that on Aug 21st or 22nd?

Let the Pain begin!

im a lil intimidated with the idea someone would require that much time to build a car

makes me think they will be far more detailed then mine :angry:

i thought december 31st (which is almost 4 months) was crazy long

also, cranky, will you be building a different car for this?

and finally, if we get 12 people involved (or more) we should do a calender for 2009 :angry:

kinda like this

october.jpg

Edited by diymirage

Diymirage, the March 1 deadline would help out those people that have to mail order parts, and/or are just slow builders like myself that have limited modelling time and probably have more than just this build in the works. With a cheap kit in hand and plenty of tubing and sheet styrene, I'll probably be able to knock this out in short order (no engine/interior detail helps too) , but I still have to get in family time, home maintenance and my 55 hour work week.

I agree with Jantrix, I have a wife and child to tend to,as well as a busy work schedule myself. And also You have to take into consideration this buildoff will be running through the holidays and for alot of us that will cut even more deeply into build time what with traveling and the extra family we will be dealing with. On another note I will try to get my unbuilt photos posted pretty close to the 22nd. I dont own a diggi cam and I dont have a clue on how to post photos,but a close friend has offered me his help depending on scheduling with our jobs.

im a lil intimidated with the idea someone would require that much time to build a car

makes me think they will be far more detailed then mine :(

i thought december 31st (which is almost 4 months) was crazy long

also, cranky, will you be building a different car for this?

and finally, if we get 12 people involved (or more) we should do a calender for 2009 :)

kinda like this

october.jpg

Hey Diymirage,

From the looks of yer 40, I don't think you need to feel intimidated--looks like you could do a fine job of a damaged DeathRacer. Great thing about this forum is that we all love to see what our fellow modelers do--from simple otb builds to superderailed builds. We inspire each other, which is great and at the same time can drive us nutz and right over to the LHS fer more kits :angry: meanin less time fer family and all.

I'm planning on doing 2 cars. I'm starting with a 65 Pontiac 2+2 and a 66 Mercury Marquis, probly gonna have the Ponyack as the racer and the Merc as a dead one. The Merc will give me a chance to try some stuff on first before I tries it on the PonyAckAckAck......hmmmm, might be the name for my racer :blink: !

Love yer idea for a calendar B) . Looks like there's 10 of us now that ###### Cranky has said he's in. I'll bet Olle F will join us........dat makes 11......Nick F40?? is you in? Love to see what yinz guys come up with!

I would hate to tear into a unbuilt kit...some of us have old glue bombs in pieces that would be perfect for this..such as myself

OK, how bout it, guys? I think we should accept old glue bombs, or similarlly already 'built' models as a starting point, like promos. I think the whole idea of the build off is inspired by what the guys in the movie did with already 'built' 1:1s, and anybody willing to cut and weld on a gluebomb or one of their shelf sitters is gotta have some really cool lookin DeathRacer that we just gotta see :( !!

I say we accept RyanS suggestion and Ryan into the battle :blink::angry: