Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello, I come to you today to ask for some help. My husband was a trucker for many years; he also served in the US Army Reserve where he deployed several times to Iraq and Afghanistan. He is now a disabled vet and had to give up truck driving. I was at a garage sale and bought a box of 1/24 scale model trucks, only 2 of them where new the rest were just parts, I only paid $10.00 for the box but when I gave it to him he lit up, I haven't seen him this happy in years. He has spent many hours building so far and has started researching what other people are building. There is new life in him. However due to the fact he only draws a small amount of disability pay we live on what I make which isn't much with 3 kids. I was wondering if anyone could possible spare a kit or even just parts. With the price of new kits and what the older ones sell for on ebay I just can't afford to get them for him. Any help is appreciated. He loves cabovers (even though he mostly drove long noses but he did learn to drive on a cabover) reefers and doubles. Macks, Kenworths, and peterbilts are his favorite brands.

Thank You and God Bless

My email is countrykelly5@gmail.com

I dont have any truck kits or parts really. Is he into car kits at all, if so what kinds, ford, chevy, dodge, drag racing, nascar, so on.

As Nick stated, he should join, theres a lot of great people here, very knowledgeable, informative, and will go out of there to help.

Let me know if he likes model cars, i might be able to help.

Edited by Petetrucker07

Kelly, definitely get your husband to join this forum. I became physically disabled, 5 years ago and, while I'm not a Veteran, ( just a disabled trucker/utility worker...) I have a bit of an idea what he's going through. This forum has been very therapeutic to me. I've made several friends, had people to talk too, when needed. It's a pretty good community and think it would be good for him. Have him look around, "lurk", we call it, and see if he wants to join.

He is as you say lurking around, thats why I thought that maybe some of you might have older kits that you may not going to build or spare truck parts. He has been showing me the pictures of some of the awsome builds on here even though he says he will never be that good. He has started building one of the kits to look like the truck he drove with his first paying job, it was a international transtar in a blue with gray stripes paint. He has a large box on his workspace that he is making to look like a parts room of sorts where he is putting all the loose parts that were in the box. It had a transtar kit and a cabover freightliner kit that where unopened. Then there was a chevy van with a car trailer that he says is missing alot, a wrecker bed, some tires and fenders and other stuff, his parts room looks impressive to me. Thank You

Cliff, we are a bunch of similarly minded folks here, we love models, building them, buying them, trading parts and offering help and advice. everyone here is willing to help each other out in anyway we can. it's not charity, it's paying it forward, as i am sure most of us here have got stuff from other members just because we asked for, or mentioned we were looking for something.

trust me, look around here and it'll soon become apparent that we all help where and when we can.

almost forgot to mention, welcome to the forum :)

Cliff: I don't have to repeat what everyone else has said here. But welcome. You will find a lot of great ideas and will "meet" people from all over the globe. Lots of times a simple request for a part or an idea will cause a flood of "got that--and coming your way" just as a gesture of comradery and good will.

Charlie

Kelly dig them outof the trash and havhe him get back to work on them and get him back on the right track ok and if he needs parts to complete his builds there are far moro willing to give and not grade some one then there are those who will bad mouth trust me on this, who knows many of us has spare parts we can give up do not let this get him down and welcome both of you to the forum and Kellie you are a keeper and a darned good wife

Kelly... Get him back into the want to build...there are much more nice people here than the other type...me Id love to help if I could...(Have him send me a PM love to talk with him). I have built models for 30+ years and have no intentions of stopping its a great way to pass the time. The ones that sent messages like they did should be ashamed of themselves...that is not what the model community is about.

I dont know who the people were, but there are idiots everywhere. Please get him to come back. Im digging some stuff up for him. Id hate for him to give it up when it gives so many of us happiness. I sit at the table almost every night working on a model with my little girl right next to me coloring or working on her own little car. It infuriates me that someone gave him grief.

don't let a few comments ruin the experience, this is a great place to come, and it's a great hobby. hate to see a great hobby get tossed aside over a comment on the internet, if nothing else, keep building, it's one of my last links to sanity......... :)

Thank You Everyone. He went into the Hospital on Tuesday, we just came home today. He still doesn't feel great but was able to come home. Now on top of his disability we have other issues now. I did get them back out, I think he will try again, our one son is trying to help him build. One of the items that was in the box of parts I got him was a wrecker bed. He said it was from a tri axle set, it's not in great shape, I am trying to talk him into taking a photo and listing it for trade. We will see what happens. Thanks again, I will keep working on him.

Its good you saved those kits. The plastic won't go bad so he can just take his time building them. Having your son help build them will make for some great Father/son time. Its a shame that there are a few bad apples in every bunch but you just have to learn to ignore them and reflect on all the postive comments coming from the group.