Model Cars Magazine Forum

looking for anyone with hands on experience with makerbot

i am looking for anyone with actual hands on experience with the maker bot brand. i am considering investing in one and would like to hear input from any one that actually owns or works with one.

i am not looking to start a discussion on the pros and cons nor the viability of 3-d printing. please, there is no need to reply to this, if you have no actual hands on experience.

thank you.

Can we keep this on topic this time? Last time I had to delete the whole thread because you people were so busy having a schoolyard smackdown that the whole point of the thread was being hijacked.

Dave PM'd me and asked me my advice. I told him to go ahead and repost the same question, and I would keep an eye on things. So far I've already had to delete the three replies posted.

Dave is asking a specific question regarding a specific product... this isn't a generic 3D printing thread. Let's stick to answering the actual question and not rambling all over the place on all sorts of stuff that doesn't have anything to do with the question being asked. If you do not have any first-hand experience with the product in question, there's really no reason to reply to the question, right?

i am looking for anyone with actual hands on experience with the maker bot brand. i am considering investing in one and would like to hear input from any one that actually owns or works with one.

i am not looking to start a discussion on the pros and cons nor the viability of 3-d printing. please, there is no need to reply to this, if you have no actual hands on experience.

thank you.

i worked with the makerbot 1 at school its a decent printer but the resolution is too low for fine detail work if anything its a good start to get the base shape then add details, my buddy got a makerbot 2 beta and its amazing what a 2200$ printer can do.but if youre making parts your limit in kit size part is a air cleaner before you start to loose detail.

thanks, harry.

doug, thanks for the info. and i will check that out.

frank, this is exactly want i'm looking for info. wise. one thing to remember is, i work in 1/8 scale so the resolution issues are a little less of a head ache.

thanks guys!!!! much appreciated. if there is any one else with good info. i'd like to hear from you.

Since the technology is changing so fast, I would consider using a printing service for now rather than investing in a machine that will surely be out of date in a year (or less!). The last 2 times I used Shapeways they delivered on time as promised. These services can offer more choices of materials and resolution as well instead of locking you into one choice. I try to group projects to save on shipping.

frank, i have some questions about the printing material itself, maybe you can help me out. can you tell me how well it accepts paint? mostly automotive type enamels and lacquers?

did you ever notice any peeling or layering of the printed material?

frank, i have some questions about the printing material itself, maybe you can help me out. can you tell me how well it accepts paint? mostly automotive type enamels and lacquers?

did you ever notice any peeling or layering of the printed material?

i dipped my part in future before primer but yes it will take laquers with no side

effects