Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dispelling Modeling Myths

Here is information form the Bondo website.

They have one part putty. Bondo 907.

Slide1-vi.jpg

I use the two part putty. Bondo 801.

Slide2-vi.jpg

I think if you use one part putty of ANY kind, and you apply paint over it before it is completely dried; it will shrink.

One part putty applied in thin coats will not shrink if it is allowed to completely dry before you paint over it.

But to be safe I use 2 part putty so i don't have to worry about how thick I apply the putty.

I would assume that the 2-part putty discussion has mostly to do with bodywork and very visible parts. I don't see a downside to using 1-part putty for things like covering seams, sink marks, etc., in engine block halves, radiators, drive shaft halves, bell housings (where appropriate) etc.

I think the history of shrinking putty comes from building models in our younger years.

When I was a young boy I used to slop on the one part tube putty in thick clumps when doing body work. Then as soon as I could sand it, I would sand it. Then right after sanding it I would paint it. Just like most kids I was in a hurry to finish the model. And sure enough the putty would still be curing and a few weeks / months later it would show signs of shrinking.

Late to the game . . .

Hey, Jim,

Does the 801 come with hardener in the package or do you have to buy it separately?

(See you this afternoon!)

I brought it sometime more than a week ago so I don't remember..... LOL

A tube of this stuff lasts me a long lone time. A few years ago I even had to purchase some extra hardener.

Yeah, see you later today !!