Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT F&F Charger-Mock-UP Photos

Fisher61

I picked this up at a Big Lots store for $5, thought I could use it for parts, opened the box and thought I would give it a shot turning it into a some what stock '69. Just doing this as a fun build between now and Christmas.

HPIM4020.jpg

HPIM4005.jpg

HPIM4004.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by plumber

That's a 70 Charger, Plum. And it's the ONLY one out there, except for resin. If you REALLT want a 69, what's wrong with the Revell 69 Charger? That kits gonna need ALOT of work to make it stock, like a proper interior, and a hood without a big ol' hole in it! I bought the metal kit version, an just happened to have a stock 70 interior from WAAAYYYY back, so it was a tad easier to make it stock.Didn't like the headlights showin in the grille to much, but it's all it comes with.Hope yours comes out ok, but I would just build it as a 70, if it were me. :rolleyes:

That's a 70 Charger, Plum. And it's the ONLY one out there, except for resin. If you REALLT want a 69, what's wrong with the Revell 69 Charger? That kits gonna need ALOT of work to make it stock, like a proper interior, and a hood without a big ol' hole in it! I bought the metal kit version, an just happened to have a stock 70 interior from WAAAYYYY back, so it was a tad easier to make it stock.Didn't like the headlights showin in the grille to much, but it's all it comes with.Hope yours comes out ok, but I would just build it as a 70, if it were me. :rolleyes:

This kit is anything but a '70 Charger. It includes the stock '69 grill with the inserts, the so called '70 loop bumper that is more of a cartoon than a stock '70 bumper and a real '70 has different front fenders about 2" longer. Did you see my hood in the picture? What hole ? This kit has the hood without the hole, its scoops are wrong, but I had a Revell '69 hood in my parts box that with a little filing fits perfectly. And there is nothing wrong with the Revell Chargers, I have built three of them already, This build is strictly for fun, just to see what I can do with this.

WoW Bill, they sure got ALOT of mileage out of the ol Dukes kit, din't they. Well it must not be just a plastic version of the metal kit, caz other than the hood an interior, I thought the metal version wasn't that bad. Just had the headlights molded open.But yeah, I had another Charger hood that I had to rework a bit to get it to fit.Wow, I'm glad you posted this thread AND your reply, caz I just mighta bought it! Thanks! :rolleyes:

WoW Bill, they sure got ALOT of mileage out of the ol Dukes kit, din't they. Well it must not be just a plastic version of the metal kit, caz other than the hood an interior, I thought the metal version wasn't that bad. Just had the headlights molded open.But yeah, I had another Charger hood that I had to rework a bit to get it to fit.Wow, I'm glad you posted this thread AND your reply, caz I just mighta bought it! Thanks! :rolleyes:

Yeah George, it's to bad the had to butcher the original MPC tooling for the Dukes kit. They did correct the rear window on this one somewhat [it looks a little small when compared to the Revell]. I guess that was one of the reasons I would try to make something presentable out of this, it's cheap entertainment for me also!

Looks nice, so far Bill! Duhhhh, just noticed the 68 in your avitar, so I guess you do notice the difference in the AMT kit as opposed to the Revell.I got both a 68 and a 69 from the ol MPC annuals, and the new ones(68/69) from Revell are pure light years ahead in design and execution. I'll keep em both in their boxes,caz they do bring back ALOT of memories of how things usta be. ;)

Here are some mock-up photos before the glass goes in. I was going to use the mags and blackwall tires, but it looked like it was missing something. So I redlined the kit tires and detailed some Magnum 500's from the '69 GTX kit, put them on and I think they just made this car "pop".

HPIM4152.jpg

HPIM4140.jpg

HPIM4137.jpg

Thanks for looking!

So basically, the Fast and Furious Charger is the ex-MPC 1969 Charger kit. I noticed that a few years ago when my friend , who worked at a hobby shop that I frequented showed me the contents of the box. Sure enough, a correct tunnel back window body, nascar parts and if I remember correctly a 69' grill. Too bad, AMT marketed that one as a 70' with an incorrect grill. Had they marked it as a 69' probably would have sold well.

Omg, nice looking kit. :angry:

They paint is awesome.

And the interrior is... wow, the wood and the trim on the door pannels... wow.

How did you do the wood look on the wheel and the console???

(*i think*... my memory ain't what it used to be) :

The charger came with several diff grille and window configs... the window on the daytonas was flush with the rear roof line for aero, the regular config was set back in (even a little more than this kit shows) then they also sold a charger (dont remember the model designation) that had a flush front grille also for nascar advantage (like the torino talladega). Although I think the stock grille with the headlights recessed, looks much better. They were very low production numbers, but they were out there... that may be one reason so many of the companies get the things mixed up, they just dont know which model within the same year they are trying to match (although they should).

Edited by ddonaca351

Omg, nice looking kit. :lol:

They paint is awesome.

And the interrior is... wow, the wood and the trim on the door pannels... wow.

How did you do the wood look on the wheel and the console???

(*i think*... my memory ain't what it used to be) :

The charger came with several diff grille and window configs... the window on the daytonas was flush with the rear roof line for aero, the regular config was set back in (even a little more than this kit shows) then they also sold a charger (dont remember the model designation) that had a flush front grille also for nascar advantage (like the torino talladega). Although I think the stock grille with the headlights recessed, looks much better. They were very low production numbers, but they were out there... that may be one reason so many of the companies get the things mixed up, they just dont know which model within the same year they are trying to match (although they should).

For the wood trim, I painted it with Testors flat brown, then brushed some Tamiya Smoke X-19 over the brown. This is the first time I've tried this, I think it looks convincing enough.

...a 1969 Dodge Charger 500, precursor to the Daytona. This first aero car by Dodge had a flush rear window, (ala the Daytona), & a flush grille with exposed headlights, (a 1968 Dodge Coronet grille in fact), ...

That's the one, the Charger 500. :D

Thank you, I couldn't remember what it was called.

Thanks for the history too... always love knowing the why, when and how behind things.

:o