Model Cars Magazine Forum

Olde Kustom Kollection -- Another Custom Ranchero

Folks who know me know my Olde Kustom Kollection that preserves and restores old custom models done back in the day. They get put back to the way they were when new, never improved or changed. So here's the latest addition....

I have a bunch of old custom Rancheros done by modelers back in the day. I get offered more all the time, and I've sworn I won't add more to the collection unless there is something significant about them... then I saw this one on the 'bay and hit that "Buy It Now" button as a reflex action!

IMG_3886-vi.jpg

This is just a neatly built custom from the way back machine. It uses the elements that were in the 1962 customizing kit. It's been well preserved and had all of the mountables that are usually missing. You know, the spots and mirrors. One mirror came off in transit, and it's already glued back on.

IMG_3887-vi.jpg

Rear view shows the kit's custom tail lights, roll pan and bed rails. Some of the chrome pieces had worn chrome, so I hit them with a little Alclad on a brush just to give them back their color. Most interesting, the original bed cover was with the kit. I only see these when they're glued down. This one was never glued, but hung on for 50 years!

IMG_3882-vi.jpg

Top view shows the mirror that was knocked off in transit. It's since been glued back, the only work that was needed to put this beauty on the shelf!

IMG_3879-vi.jpg

Side view shows the kit's full skirts. No worries, I'm not planning on taking them off.

IMG_3888-vi.jpg

Interior is all black fabric, possibly velvet. I can see it better in this photo than in person so it needs a bit of vacuuming. I'll have to see if it comes apart easily with the chassis screws. Note that our original builder did a neat job detailing out the dashboard.

IMG_3883-vi.jpg

So why was this one attractive to me? Aside from the outstanding preservation and the right price ($19.95), it reminded me a whole lot of my recent total resto project Ranchero shown here with it. So I just needed to have it. Oh, there's always room for one more on the shelf!

Real nice classic builds Tom, one can only imagine the builder...

Tom,

Someone long ago put a lot of effort into that old build, they "deserve to be preserved" ! Super job on your resto as well !!!

Thanks guys! You get why I do it. Picture back in 1962 or 1963 (the 1961 Ranchero customizing kit came out in '62) some kid or young adult put their imagination and enthusiasm in building it. Who? We know it was someone who had never seen a Mustang or Camaro but was influenced by the custom car trends and model car magazines of that era!

And where has it been? Was it entered in a hobby shop model car contest? Was it ever in a magazine? And how did it managed to get tucked away and saved for 50 years? AND, what would that person say if they saw that model redone today?

That's the fun of it.