Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cadillac STS-V: Red wine, anyone?

Merkur XR4Ti

caddy1.jpg

caddy2.jpg

caddy3.jpg

caddy4.jpg

After seeing all the excellent builds here of this kit, I decided to give mine a shot. While the folks here did a great job with sinister black and silver paint jobs, I wanted to go in a different direction with this one, so I chose to build the car as a classy "wine and cheese" car, a car that you could take to the opera without blingy embarrassment while still being able to blow the doors off anything on the road.

I glued the doors and truck to the body and tried to get the gaps as small as possible. I made door handles out of Evergreen rod sliced in half and sanded them down a bit; I'm pretty happy with the way they look. I used Aoshima wheels and tires for this kit; I cut off the calipers from the kit rotors and repositioned them so the new wheels would fit over them.

Exterior paint is autmotive touchup decanted from spray cans. The merlot red is a ChryCo color I believe, with a standard silver on the bottom. I shot a few coats of clear over that and polished it all out.

Interior has tan vinyl paint from the auto parts store. I painted the suede seat inserts Aircraft int. gray (sort of a charcoal color) and gave the dash, door panels and steering wheel cherry wood trim via mixing brown, red and black paint together. I did not gray out the grilles, but instead painted them with aluminum metalizer.

I finished it off by making my own Maine SHIRAZ license plates on a laser printer.

Nice! I knew a shade of red would look good on it. Ever since building my black and silver one I've wanted to do a red STS-V in the CTS-V color scheme (for some reason Cadillac doesn't offer the STS-V in the red color, only rather bland silver, gray, or black). I've got some reasonably stock wheels for it.