Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks, the shop started as a box, just a temporary set up, My wife used the hobby lobby 40% off and got the pete for my birthday. It's a work inprogress. Somedays I get a lot completed others I can't even start anything, but that's the way my life is now, just have to deal with it. But I am enjoying the time at the shop.

The old time rail car to the right of the shop serves as the office. I was part of a collection my dad gave me for my kids. Once we got the part he gave us home, I went to look at everything. We found that mice had made a home in this rail car, chewed thru the door windows on both ends. Once inside they chewed the wiring for the lights. I took the whole thing apart, cleaned it out and washed it. I have rewired the lights but I still need to get a power source, the little 9 volt battery just dosen't cut it. I made a sign for the end that says OFFICE, now I need to find a couple desk and other office furnisings to make it right. I spent almost all day Monday framing the 3 bay doors and wall. It's coming along nicely and serves as practice for when I build the actual shop, dock, office and cold storage building. The front will have dock doors and shop doors, the rear will have doors for rail cars to be unloaded. But this building is way off in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Work in the garage has been slow, I have been working on rebuilding a 40' Reefer that I traded a wrecker bed for. I stripped down the paint, replaced it with Aluminum to look like stainless steel. Painted the trim in blue (the company's main color), I traded some cab pieces for a sliding suspension, made 2 axles for it. I want to order a set of resin 2 hole buds for it. I made a chute for the reefer and a bulkhead, then ribbed the floor. I pulled reefers for a number of years so I wanted it to be close. So here she is, sitting on temp wheels and 2 jack stands. Boys in the shop are rebuilding the landing legs, then they will make a fifth wheel plate and king pin. She will still need doors, an ICC Bar, and lights.

The last pic is three reefers that came in the mail from Italeri, The Thermo King from the American 48' reefer (my favorite model), A Thermo king unit for a straight truck, and the blue one is their idea of a carrier model. I now have 5 reefer units in stock. Hopefully Christmas will be good to me and I will be able to make several reefers, wanting to make a 53' reefer container and a set of reefer doubles. Well that's all for now.

post-14129-0-62679600-1412610278_thumb.j

post-14129-0-26636100-1412610298_thumb.j

post-14129-0-93428000-1412610319_thumb.j

post-14129-0-54362600-1412610614_thumb.j

Thanks everything I'm trying is stuff I read about on here, I really liked the idea of using the aluminum foil for stainless steel, it really makes it pop, plus it didn't cost, I had the spay adhesive in the garage and the wife had the foil. The garage is nothing more than a 18" x 18" moving box, I have added some balsa wood for framing and shelves. I want to build a large display probably 4' x 8' in our spare room. I want it to have a cold storage facility, dry dock area, office and shop, plus a fuel island and plenty of parking in the yard. But this is way down the road.