Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

chris, you always impress the heck out of me with your diligence to get it right. awesome effort buddy!!!!!!!!! as a second thought you may want to throw that clutch can and tranny in there, just sleep better at night. hehe. keep up the stellar work!!!!

Scott.... Thank you very much. You are right about it seems when we make assumptions that something will fit and it doesn't. I usually try and make all of those fit checks during my fab process but this one somehow got away from me. I need to throw the tranny in the mix just to double check fitment with it now...lol

Rom... Thanks buddy....It feels good to be back at this one and hopefully some great progress will be made on this bad boy.

John... Thanks brother. I appreciate the kind words and support on this one.

Ray... Thank you very much. Soon I will hope to have primer on that body for ya ;)

Steve... Thank you. For the most part it is fixed but but I still have some minor work that needs to be done to the Mid-plate for me to be happy with it pus the fitment between the Mid-plate and Body Tin work needs to be re-worked too.

Hi Bill.... It's great to see you on here again, we have missed your presence. Thank you for the kind words and support on this one.

Dave.... Thanks my friend. It means a lot when I get your stamp of approval on things. You know I don't want to miss any of the little details...lol I am going to take your advice and throw the clutch can and tranny in so I can check fitment issues. Hopefully I will get some pics of it up later today. Thanks for your encouragement.

Dave... thank you very much for rhe kind and encouraging words. You are welcome for sharing the troubles i have had or caused upon myself on this build. I just have wantes everyone to see how I have done things. I know not everything is 100% right or correct the way I have done it. I know the fix I am thinking of for the bottom mounts wont be thw best way but If I didnt have the chassis painted already I would have moved the mounting tabs. SO i will be altering the Mid Plate in that area a tad...lol

Another one of my rules of life just when you think that you have it figured out you will discover that you missed something. I will make 15 out of 16 measurments and either get lazy or miss one measurement and that will be the one that is the problem.

Chris sorry to see a couple of problems creep in but I'm glad to see you have been able to work through them. Keep up the good work.

Hey Chris just checking in on the build, grate stuff brother. As you know i have finish the 70.5 camaro and took it to its first show in buffalo. Took home 1st in Categorie, Best auto. and BEST of SHOW.

But the thing i like to do for the next show is to have a better displayed, too put the car up in the the air. I was going to use glass or dice or some thing cool so you can see the bottle of the car.

So i made with the rear cars use. And i thought you may be able to use it for that super nice Vega build.

This is my first atempt at a working Air Over Hydrualic Pro Lifting.

KGrHqZqFI0QiElmBSWNSZT51w60_57_zps213498

002_zps0c41dfbf.jpg

004_zps9b6501e1.jpg

003_zps2b54c454.jpg

Bob... isnt that so true. Or the ine dimension thst is missed is the most critical one. with some of these details that I have missed and have had to redo has made me realize things to take into account first on the next build. I love that our hobby is always a learning lesson.

Art.... thanks brother!

Alan... thank you. I am making some progress right bow but its a little slow. Hopefully i will get back on the body cart soon bit want to finish up this mid plate issues and a few other things first.

Derrick.... thank you for the kind comments. That is some great news with your 70.5 camaro. Well deserved awards. I really like your air jacks you are ahowing there. I am going to have to make some of those for another build in the fuure for sure. I have thought of an old school way that I am planning on doing for displaying this. As soon as I get the parts I will show everyone. I Have had this idea for a while now.

I am hooing to get some bench time on this tonight. I did get a chance to fit the tranny and bell housing in place. Things seem to line up pretty good. I will have to show a few pics that I did take. Jist havent had the time to posr them. I still have a little work to do to the mid plate bit rework has beem started on it.

Hello Fellas.... well I got some time in at the bench tonight and wanted to share the little progress I have made with it. I know it seems that I have been somewhat slow with fixing this Mid-plate. I guess I am taking my time and not rushing it because I want to to get the fitment correct so I don't have to worry about it. But I feel I am a couple more steps closer to having it completed. I was able to extend the length so the Body Tin will fit correct as well as adding the lip to it. I also got to where all of the bolts that mount the Mid-Plate to the chassis fit good, I couldn't tell you how many times I had to screw them on and off checking things as I went...lol Ok I will shut up and show some pics now :D

Here was my test fit for the Bell Housing and Tranny before I started to hack up the mid plate:

DP-Army-Vega5077-1_zps966a2aa7.jpg

Shot from the other side:

DP-Army-Vega5085-1_zpsf5fa7cf8.jpg

Here I have extended the back part of the plate for the body tin work to sit on as well as I did a small amount of work on the mid plate mounting locations:

DP-Army-Vega5091-1_zps726af7dd.jpg

DP-Army-Vega5092-1_zps10366941.jpg

Another shot of the Mid-Plate with the added plastic:

DP-Army-Vega5093-1_zps4f8e162b.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Here is a mock up shot before I added the lip to the back of the Mid-Plate, I was trying to gauge the size of plastic I wanted to use...lol:

DP-Army-Vega5097-1_zps79038045.jpg

Here you can see the lip that was added:

DP-Army-Vega5099-1_zpsfe08719b.jpg

Another angle of the mid plate, Now all I need to do is sand and do some body work to the mid plate so I can get some primer on the thing:

DP-Army-Vega5102-1_zpsa3626584.jpg

I had to do another test fit with the body and a few of the parts in place. I am pretty happy with it now:

DP-Army-Vega5103-1_zpsd96193ea.jpg

Here is another angle of the test fit. Now I need to add a .010" thick piece of styrene around the inside of the body tin to tighten up the gap a little bit. Other than that I think I can call the rework a pretty good success. As I mentioned before all that I really need to do is sand down the mid plate add some bondo in a few spots and then its ready for primer and to be repainted. I think I may also try to figure out where to notch the mid-plate for the throttle cable and fuel shut off cable to pass thru:

DP-Army-Vega5106-1_zps3dcede0f.jpg

Paul.... Thank you.

Bob... Thank you. The issue with the gap was that I didn't tighten the mid-plate up to the block tight enough in the pics. Then I also changed the way the front mounts were put on before I just used some simulated bolts that just pushed into the hole. well I ended up tapping the hole and using a threaded bolt to make sure that the font mounts were nice and rigid.

Mike.... Thank you my friend.

Danno... Thank you. When I bring it to the show next year I will have to bring a big along for ya ;):P ...hehe

Scott... Thanks Brother!

Mark... Thank you. I appreciate your kind words

Jim... Thank you so much.

Dave... Thank you so much my friend. Progress has been slow with some of my reworks this week, guess I don't want to go to fast and screw it up...lol

So I was able to get to the bench a little tonight and make some slight progress on this build. I decided to work on the the Body Tin work and specifically on how I was going to pretty much pin the dash portion to the body. With recently getting the mid-plate updated so that it was sitting in the right spot I had to adjust the lip on the mid-plate. And since I finished that it was time to get the dash set in place. I apologize for the pics not turning out so great. But here is what was done, its not much but glad to finally have this little detail done. Now I think I am going to work on getting the Dog House built on the dash as well as getting some bondo on the mid-plate so I can primer and paint it again.

I first started out by adding another support piece on the body to where I wanted to be able to pin to:

DP-Army-Vega5108-1_zpse2c705e7.jpg

Next I added more to the dash portion of the Body Tins to extend it some, It will still have some more added to it but for the purpose of how I was going to get the mounting portion done this was good enough for the moment:

DP-Army-Vega5110-1_zps9e0b6ecf.jpg

Here I have drilled two holes per side and decided what better way than to hold the dash in place and use some .8mm threaded bolts from Scale Hardware:

DP-Army-Vega5112-1_zpsaad0a1ec.jpg

Her I cut the extra piece out that I added:

DP-Army-Vega5114-1_zps56d840fb.jpg

Here is the inside of the tin work again. I actually added a .010" thick piece of styrene to the inside of the tin where it met with the mid-plate trying to fix the gap:

DP-Army-Vega5116-1_zps1d790a6b.jpg

Opposite side with the same as above:

DP-Army-Vega5118-1_zps965a71ce.jpg