Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 camaro street/strip machine......off to the paint booth!!

Jeff Sauber

Lookin' Good!!!

I like the way these old cars were set up between the 70's and the late 80's. I too had some PRO-TRACs on a 1972 442 Olds I had in high school. Try to find a 442 Olds w/ a flawless body for under $1,200.00 these days!!!

Thanks...Yeah, I always thought that one day I'd just grab another camaro or GTO and start again with a 1:1 project. Unfortunately, even one in rough condition these days are fairly expensive..I don't even see all that many out on the road anymore. Back in the 80's these things were a dime a dozen. Now they are becoming few and far between.

Edited by J. Sauber

Awww Man that looks so good so far Nice job on the grill. Love the chevy emblem on it. Keep up the good work.

Coooool! I like that blue Chevy emblem on the grill! It's just like the one on my 1:1 that i'm restoring/upgrading the entire front end on right now.

Thanks...Yeah, I always thought that one day I'd just grab another camaro or GTO and start again with a 1:1 project. Unfortunately, even one in rough condition these days are fairly expensive..I don't even see all that many out on the road anymore. Back in the 80's these things were a dime a dozen. Now they are becoming few and far between.

I agree!! I seldom see these cars except for when the GoodGuys show comes to town or if there's a cruise - in somewhere. In 89 I bought a rust free "STRONG RUNNING" 70 Chevelle for 600.00 I actually bought parts for that car at a local Chevy dealer after a fender bender. The parts catalog looked like an antique. I remember laughing about it along w/ the parts guy as he acted like he blew dust off of it. BUT HEY GM still had the parts available. I broke down and sold that car a little over a year and a half ago to a fella that's been trying to get me to sell that since 1993.

Keep up the good work!!!

I've gotten a bit further along with the underside...I did some detail painting and more adjusting. I should have the chassis pan finished up by tomorrow, and then I'll move on to the engine bay. I rotated the pics around to give the image the feel of looking at the car as if it was up on a lift.....Thought I'd try something different rather than the typical lying flat on the table routine...More to come

DSC00001-2.jpg

DSC00005-3.jpg

DSC00003-2.jpg

All of the little hardware details look GREAT, Jeff!!

Later,

Thanks Raul, I'm using some photoetch stuff from the model car garage and Pro Tech. I hope to get to the engine bay today and will try and plumb & wire a few things. The MCG photoetch kit for this car is real nice. I'm looking forward to using it on the interior and body. It will really make the model pop.

Killer... you going to put some turn downs on the exhaust?

CCSS

I had thought about it, but back on my 1:1, I just had the mufflers set up like this...I got pulled over a few times....sometimes the cops told me I had to run the exhaust all the way to the back of the car, but I guess it depended on the officer's mood those particular days..LOL.

A couple of turndowns might look good on the model though, I may go ahead and add some on just to give it a more completed look....

Edited by J. Sauber

Fantastic job Jeff!!!

Where did you get the "bowtie" emblem really nice touch?

The bowtie is from the Model Car Garage photoetched detail kit...It's about 15 bucks for the set, but it's worth it. It comes with really nice items for the body and interior...

Jeff, great job!! nice touch with the fuel line scuff protectors at the valve cover, just wondering what did you use for ties?

Charlie

Pro Tech

Thanks, Charlie.....The scuff protectors are just some black rubber tubing sliced open on one side and slipped over the braided hose, and the ties are just really thin strips of aluminum tape.

I found out the hard way with my 1:1 that fuel lines rubbing against metal parts isn't really a good idea....LOL. So I cut some sections of heater hose and wrapped the undersides of the A/N lines and secured them with silver zip ties.

I did the same thing on my 1:1 '68 mercury Cyclone...

awesome work Jeff!

bringing back some memories for me too. i had my fuel lines run the same way and over to the passenger side fenderwell. no braided line for me though it was just regular rubber line B) i thought i'd fail tech at the track, but it passed. i thought the NHRA rule was no more than 12" of rubber line. i ran 15x3.5 Centerlines on the front of my car for awhile with plain 15x7 Chevy rally's on the back and some seriously worn Pro Trac L60's.

Dave

I had the rubber lines and cheap hose clamps as well for a while, but you're right, the track tech guys hated those set ups..As my car eventually became faster, I had to switch over to real plumbing in order to get the OK to make a few passes up at the [now retired] 75/80 dragaway in Monrovia MD.

Ah, those were the good ole days...The smell of Cam 2 race fuel, and burning rubber.

Love it, Jeff.

I can't get enough of your detail work. The coil and carb look great.

Good to see you're at the bench.

BTW, thanks for the gallery pics. I had already forgotten how nice the detail work was on Christine. Glad to see the reminder pics up top.

Edited by Alyn

For tonight's update, I created the moroso "cool can" and plumbed the rest of the fuel system. [sorry the pics are a little fuzzy, I wasn't using a tripod or good lighting.]

DSC00001-4.jpg

DSC00003-4.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll get started on the radiator/elec fan/ and remaining cooling system...

Edited by J. Sauber