Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great American Truck Race

Basically just study the photos, and think about racing in general. I dont really have any first hand info on any of this. Im just working from the photos myself. First and foremost, put the tank in a safe place behind the cab. Move anything thats gonna cause wind resistance. Some of these guys were chopping bumpers, chopping fenders, shortening the wheelbase, and adding bars to protect various parts of the truck. Some had custom exhaust. I made my rollbar from solid evergreen round stock heated and bent into shape a little at a time. The roll bar on the Pete was made from square tubing and "I" beam. Keep in mind, there were no high performance truck parts, they raced on highway tires. So any mods would have been homemade, meaning that you can make it too, only smaller. Just pic one out of a photo and have fun. I havent reproduced any one in particular, Im kinda just compiling ideas and making fictional trucks.

Excellent they look great and the main thing ,looks like your having fun doing it. I'm actually building one now, most parts from my parts box .Its a Transtar 4300 with mods ,i have been trying to get some good pics from internet but not that many come up on Google, your pics help heaps.i am Just a the stage of building a roll bar.I will post pics soon .cheers.

Excellent they look great and the main thing ,looks like your having fun doing it. I'm actually building one now, most parts from my parts box .Its a Transtar 4300 with mods ,i have been trying to get some good pics from internet but not that many come up on Google, your pics help heaps.i am Just a the stage of building a roll bar.I will post pics soon .cheers.

Im not one to advocate facebook, but there is a great GATR facebook page with a TON of photos.Cant wait to see your build.

Edited by Superpeterbilt

this is just too cool! I have a feeling you and Alan could build a track full of these in about a month :D

cool looking stuff man, keep at it B)

Thanks man, I just picked up three more donors over the weekend. Too bad Alan and I live on opposite ends of the continent. I would like to see Alan build a drag strip for those Tyrone Malone Trucks. You can make some wicked burnout smoke with some cotton balls!!

Just picked up three more junkers to be converted to race trucks.

0C73C190-A5B6-4CC4-91AD-34FB272F3AC3_zps

DB44E726-11BE-4A0F-BF93-D1FBDD3FF1C8_zps

The Autocar will be rebuilt as an A10264 (axle forward). The Diamond Reo will have the walking beans swapped out for air ride. The Road Boss may be converted to a Western Star, or may be a donor for a GMC 9500. Heres what I got done tonight.

E2A316C8-FB59-41E6-83F9-BBC38D041BD4_zps

757A8D62-A9BC-40CB-9C98-2AABD7A56803_zps