Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford AeroMax 120 any issues?

The wheels are not good, but I also noticed the aero skirts sit too low, having a larger gap below the hood and cab than should be when looking at photos of the real thing. It can be fixed by mounting them higher on the fuel tanks, possibly shimming them with styrene strip. I fixed mine by not using the kit tanks at all, and mounting them differently. I have the chassis and cab complete, I need to update my on the workbench thread. Also, The instructions show the wipers mounted the wrong direction. Again, looking at photos of the 1:1 really helps.

I also experienced a warped hood issue, and despite spending way too much time to correct it, it still isn't perfect. This plays into the worst issue, the hood and cab fit. The only way I got the hood to sit down right when closed was to first mount it on the hinges and then bring the cab in and adjust it so they both mate up together, and use a small magnet on the firewall and under the hood to get good closure. This looked good, except for the fact that the cab was tilted forward slightly, but enough for me to notice. This has bugged me for a while and halfway through writing this post, I went down to my workbench and started fixing it. I reworked the rear cab mount after cutting it off with a dremel, re-gluded it level. Of course, the hood doesn't fit now, so I have a choice, rework or remove the hood hinges. If I don't use them at all, the hood is removeable and is held nicely in place by the magnet, so I can display the engine with the hood off. Might be the easier option.

Other than that, from a kit design perpective, they used an incorrect chassis and engine from past kits. A common problem, and I know they did it to save money. If the engine bugs you too, then it can be swapped out for a Series 60 or modified to look much more like a Cummins N14.

It sounds like all bad things, but it can be a nice model of a nice truck.

Edited by vincen47

Actually, to be honest, this was my FIRST Italeri/Revell kit build, EVER.....I found it to be quite good, fit wise......Of course, I had only built AMT kits up to that point.....I found the kit to go together pretty smoothly.....Since I had been used to wrestling with AMT's flawed kits, (Built an T-600 just prior)..... After that, I had no problem with this one.....I think any experienced builder will have even less of a problem putting it together.....

Now, the inaccuracies, are an entirely different story.....Like Cary said......Check out some 1:1 shots of this thing.....

Edited by kilrathy10