Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Mercedes 1628 S - The Ubiquitous NG Series

Hi,

Browsing this forum you can find several models of the Mercedes Actros, Mercedes' current series of heavy trucks, but no model of the precedent NG series (NG = Neue Generation [New Generation]).

The NG series, later renamed as SK (= Schwere Klasse [Heavy Class]), was built from 1973 to 1998 and was most probably the most successful European truck series ever. It was virtually ubiquitous inside and outside Europe for civil and military use.

The number of variants was numberless: engines from 130 to 530 hp, up to 4 axles, several cab lenghts and roof heights met any customer's requirements.

My model shows a 1979 Mercedes 1628S ( = 16 tons, 280 hp, Sattelzugmaschine [tractor]) with a French Trailor 3-axle trailer. I chose the typical colour combination of those days, namely a dark red chassis, a turquoise cab, unpainted aluminum side panels and an orange PVC tarpaulin.

RoG's 1628 S and Heller's trailer kit were released in 1981 (?) and supposedly I built them in the early eighties.

My memories have become vague over these years but I still remember that both kits were excellent in every respect. If you are interested in European trucks I would really recommend them.

comp_162800168_zps3bfc9cc2.jpgcomp_162800268_zps2d5f696f.jpgcomp_162800368_zps17c989d9.jpgcomp_162800468_zps8fdd337b.jpgcomp_162800568_zps62fb36ca.jpg

Yes, Sir....Very good looking model....I guess you may not see many of these on this forum, because there are only a few of us that dig the European scene....And I can't say this is one of my favorite models, either, but I do like the MB Actos and the Man TGA's and the Scanias and the Volvos.....Pretty much all of those, I can get into....I have about 25 Euro tractors and trailers that need building....This is a really awesome representation.....As clean as can be.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Thanks for the comments!

As usual there is very limited interest for a non-American truck.

Europe, however, produces a lot of highly attractive and technically very advanced 1:1 trucks. After all Mercedes and Volkswagen (now also owning Scania and MAN) compete to be the largest truck manufacturer worldwide.