Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anglia street rod

JayVee

I've always liked this model kit (and the Thames panel truck, too) so I picked up one of each. I wanted to try building them in a modern street rod style. The paint is Tamiya racing white (slightly off-white). The flame mask pattern is from the Jimmy Flinstone Testor's masks, but I had to transfer the pattern to wide 3M blue tape to get the mask to conform to the tight curves:

Anglia2.jpg

The ride height will be pretty low but not slammed. These rims and tires are from the parts box and they're narrow enough to not require large wheel tubs, just a little coaxing on the wheel wells with the Dremel.

Very nice job on the flames...I have done more then a few vinyl masks for flames and found that a hair dryer on the low setting works wonders in softing up the vinyl for the body contours. it doesn't always work because some bends are just too big, but for most cases it helps. Once the vinyl is down, I always hit it with the dryer and a cotton swab at least once around the edges.....anyway, nice work, that should be a very nice model once you finish it up...I love the colors...the off-white makes for a nice subtle base for the flames...the flames work great on a blank canvus, so to speak. I have both of those kits too and want to some day build them as street rods too....great start.

I've always liked this model kit (and the Thames panel truck, too) so I picked up one of each. I wanted to try building them in a modern street rod style. The paint is Tamiya racing white (slightly off-white). The flame mask pattern is from the Jimmy Flinstone Testor's masks, but I had to transfer the pattern to wide 3M blue tape to get the mask to conform to the tight curves:

Anglia2.jpg

The ride height will be pretty low but not slammed. These rims and tires are from the parts box and they're narrow enough to not require large wheel tubs, just a little coaxing on the wheel wells with the Dremel.

WOW!! :lol:

This is going to be a great build to follow. :lol:

I'm a color and contrast guy, and I love flame jobs, so this one really "trips my trigger" :lol: .

Beautiful start - dave :rolleyes:

Thanks guys! Peter, that hair dryer trick is a great idea. I'll try that next time I use vinyl masks. I sanded down the overspray (some of it shows in that photo) and clearcoated it. It never ceases to amaze me how overspray can get under about 3 pounds of tape.

BTW Foxer, love that avatar :rolleyes:

PcarPower.jpg

Thanks guys! Peter, that hair dryer trick is a great idea. I'll try that next time I use vinyl masks. I sanded down the overspray (some of it shows in that photo) and clearcoated it. It never ceases to amaze me how overspray can get under about 3 pounds of tape.

BTW Foxer, love that avatar :rolleyes:

PcarPower.jpg

thanks.. and is that your black one?? I wanted to post the images of my 87 engine with the Under Glass post but they may have been lost with a HD crash. That's pretty close with just minor plumbing differences. No cruise control on that one I see.

thanks.. and is that your black one?? I wanted to post the images of my 87 engine with the Under Glass post but they may have been lost with a HD crash. That's pretty close with just minor plumbing differences. No cruise control on that one I see.

Yes, this is my '87 (stone gray metallic, actually). I tracked down your "under glass" thread and posted a response there. Great work!

• 3 weeks later...

Drivetrain, chassis and interior are done. I used the kit's engine and added a radiator fan from a '37 Ford kit:

Anglia3.jpg

The sound system is from a Ford Focus SVT kit (can you hear me now?) :D

Anglia4.jpg

The dropped front axle is from a '40 Ford kit, the headers and exhaust tips are from a '37 Ford kit, and the mufflers and pipes are from a Deuce coupe kit:

Anglia5.jpg

Brakes are from a Willy's coupe kit. The Anglia kit rear end was modifed quite a bit to lower it:

Anglia6.jpg

Next up is some polishing and final assembly. Thanks for checking out the progress photos!

I just picked up the Anglia Drag Sedan today on a whim planning to make it a street machine.. (is this some kind of 944 influence??) Wasn't thinking of your build but thankfully it showed up in new posts today. Yous is looking really good! I was wondering what wheels you're using as they fit really well with the body.

I just picked up the Anglia Drag Sedan today on a whim planning to make it a street machine.. (is this some kind of 944 influence??) Wasn't thinking of your build but thankfully it showed up in new posts today. Yous is looking really good! I was wondering what wheels you're using as they fit really well with the body.

These Anglias are like the anti-944! I think these rims came from the AMT '57 Chevy kit but I'm not completely sure since they came from the "wheel storage drawer". Rear tires didn't come with the rims, but they're hollow Goodyears ('69 Ford Galaxie kit maybe?). The front tires are from the Deuce Coupe or one of the '37 Ford kits (they all use the same tires).

Edited by JayVee

thats sharp! i like those injectors and the motor looks very right!

heres a similar sort of idea i did a few years ago, with the Thames wagon, the Simple Simon Pie Wagon, redone as a Lotus parts supply van, complete with white metal twin cam lotus motor!

nicerightsideprofilecen.jpg

nicefrontrightnosecenso.jpg

niceleftrear.jpg

the motor sitting low in the engine compartment. when someone above mentioned sectioning

the body this was the first thing that came to my mind: the motor would look a lot more impressive

if there was less body around it!

nicemotorfromrightside.jpg

nicemotorfromabove.jpg

a couple of shots of the interior i fabricated, bench seat, headache rack, flocking etc:

niceinterior.jpg

niceinstrumentpanel.jpg

finally a crappy shot of the undercarriage, but you can see where i put a modern front

end on it instead of the tube axle...key to getting the front end down in the weeds:

undercarriage.jpg

maybe these will give you some ideas for the thames wagon, seeing yours makes me want to do

another and this time put in a Rover/MGB/Morgan V8, derived of course from the aluminum

Buick small displacement V8.

thats sharp! i like those injectors and the motor looks very right!

heres a similar sort of idea i did a few years ago, with the Thames wagon, the Simple Simon Pie Wagon, redone as a Lotus parts supply van, complete with white metal twin cam lotus motor!

That's a great looking wagon, cool concept! I'm going to get the Thames in the weeds as much as possible. I think I'll start with the '37 Ford chassis for that one since it's pretty easy to get it layin' rocker.