Model Cars Magazine Forum

I might be in for this depending on the rules. Would it be a simple winner-takes-all contest, or would there be categories for conventional and COE? Would it be 1/24-1/25 only? Would it be tractor only or tractor-trailer? I have to admit that the big Stepp's wrecker I did a couple of months ago was my first real dive back into 1/25 in many years after doing so many 1/16 trucks. Over those years my eyes and fingers got used to working with 1/16 parts so the little stuff was more of a challenge than I thought it'd be.

I know there are some great builders here who can pop out a show-winning rig in a couple of weeks if they wanted to but the 10-month time frame allows everyone ample time. Like many here my ability to paint depends on the weather so starting in January is a good idea. :)

I might be in for this depending on the rules. Would it be a simple winner-takes-all contest, or would there be categories for conventional and COE? Would it be 1/24-1/25 only? Would it be tractor only or tractor-trailer? I have to admit that the big Stepp's wrecker I did a couple of months ago was my first real dive back into 1/25 in many years after doing so many 1/16 trucks. Over those years my eyes and fingers got used to working with 1/16 parts so the little stuff was more of a challenge than I thought it'd be.

I know there are some great builders here who can pop out a show-winning rig in a couple of weeks if they wanted to but the 10-month time frame allows everyone ample time. Like many here my ability to paint depends on the weather so starting in January is a good idea. :)

Basically, yeah. Winner take all. It may be the top 3 get pick of month and winner get cover.

It would be wide open for COEs, Conventionals, American, Euro. Al types of trucks, tractor, wrecker, box truck, stake bed. Newer, older, antique. All scales.

For the calender pic would be truck only. Not sayin you can't build a trailer for it.

Basically, yeah. Winner take all. It may be the top 3 get pick of month and winner get cover.

It would be wide open for COEs, Conventionals, American, Euro. Al types of trucks, tractor, wrecker, box truck, stake bed. Newer, older, antique. All scales.

For the calender pic would be truck only. Not sayin you can't build a trailer for it.

That's what I was hoping for, thank you. If you start adding categories and tons of rules and regulations it just sucks the fun out of it! :lol:

That's what I was hoping for, thank you. If you start adding categories and tons of rules and regulations it just sucks the fun out of it! :lol:

I want this to be fun. Rules are no fun. There will be basic guidelines and thats it.

Well...there will be rules. How many, few.

But rule #1 will be. Have fun!

I think if the build is well planned out, it can be executed in 90 days. I already know what Im doing, and it wont be anything scratch built. I have enough of those long term projects. And Clayton, if Anthony wants to build a chopped, stretched, snap kit then I say we let him.

In all seriousness, I think a good rule would be no snap kits. That is in no way any kind of build challenge.

Hey Terry,

Even if Anthony wanted to build a chopped, stretched snap kit he can't. The rules state "no Snap Kits" :( The 2 least expensive, most popular and common 1/25 scale model truck kits are not allowed. Don't sweat it T, I had no intention of getting in on this anyway so were all good. Oh, one more thing, don't forget the sunscreen. It gets pretty hot in the "sandbox"..... B)

Edited by Anthony Oteri

rut roh Yogi!!! Now ya gone an dun it!

Rules??? Like my patents used to tell me when I was a small brat. When I did not want to go somewhere with them.." You are going to go, and you will have a good time!!!"

\

How about just a few!! Quidelines for the Calendar build?

Remember the K.I.S.S. Principle Keep It Simple Stupid or Short and Sweet! roflmao

Be Well

Gator

Hey Terry,

Even if Anthony wanted to build a chopped, stretched snap kit he can't. The rules state "no Snap Kits" :( The 2 least expensive, most popular and common 1/25 scale model truck kits are not allowed. Don't sweat it T, I had no intention of getting in on this anyway so were all good. Oh, one more thing, don't forget the sunscreen. It gets pretty hot in the "sandbox"..... B)

Awwwww;( well, I guess the rest of us will pick up your slack. And, it's always hot down here in the south. I'm not sweating.

That's unfortunate Anthony. You do great work. I'm sure I wasn't the only one curious what you would come up with.

Clayton,

I've come to find that the majority of truck builders like long trucks with big sleepers and lots of chrome, the so called "Bling Factor" if you will. It's just not my thing, even as a kid I was more into fleet trucks and construction vehicles and I never got away from that. Of course the hobby has changed, and the way builders purchase kits and supplies has changed too, but my own personal tastes haven't. Petes and KW's were quite rare when I was a kid, there were some but not many. Autocars, Macks and even Fords were the kings of the road, they were short wheelbase rats with spoke wheels and missing mud flaps. It was just a different era I guess.

Clayton,

I've come to find that the majority of truck builders like long trucks with big sleepers and lots of chrome, the so called "Bling Factor" if you will. It's just not my thing, even as a kid I was more into fleet trucks and construction vehicles and I never got away from that. Of course the hobby has changed, and the way builders purchase kits and supplies has changed too, but my own personal tastes haven't. Petes and KW's were quite rare when I was a kid, there were some but not many. Autocars, Macks and even Fords were the kings of the road, they were short wheelbase rats with spoke wheels and missing mud flaps. It was just a different era I guess.

Have you been readin my diary? For a second i thought i wrote that! Edited by guitarsam326

Awwwww;( well, I guess the rest of us will pick up your slack. And, it's always hot down here in the south. I'm not sweating.

Thats good to know, I feel better now. My doctor tells me one of the advantages of living in the South is that it's good for your vitamin d level.

Gentlemen,

I would like to take a moment to address the concerns Sam and Anthony posed. Personal preferences should figure into this type of situation. You also have to take into consideration that even geographical differences factor into preferences. West of the Mississippi, especially out here on the high plains,

dominant makes, on the east coast, like Mack, Brockway, and Autocar were just words and pictures in Overdrive magazine. The local Freightliner dealer had sales locked up in parts of 5 states. Only a stray bull hauler from Montana ever drove a Pete. I grew up in the '70s, around a group of Owner / Operators in a small fleet for a grocery wholesaler. Except for 1 Diamond Reo, everylast one drove Freightliner cabovers. To this day, the FLA is still my favorite truck. They were a competitive bunch, who ran the most miles, who's truck is the cleanest, who had the most bling on their new truck, and so on. What they found out, along the way, was that, things like aluminum wheels, tanks, and battery / storage boxes, replacing the heavy, steel components and spoke or steel disc wheels put more money in their pockets over the life of the truck. This fundamentally changed, especially for O/Os, what was acceptable regarding appearance. Reliable functionality was no longer enough. Think about it, it is almost human nature to like bling. I mean, everyone has a ...ooooo sshhhiiiiinnnnyyy.... Moment from time to time. All that being said, I would like you to take a look at KJ Humphrey's last couple of builds. They wear spokes, and are GORGEOUS. Ultimately, I think the voters would see that all the bling in the world can't save a model with horrible build quality. I say that, just because you march to the beat of a different drummer, does not mean you cannot be an important part of the parade. Personally, I do like fancy, working trucks, not show only, never hooked to a trailer, always sit on carpet trucks. That does not stop me from respecting the work that got it there. I will build what I like, and let the votes fall were they may. I hope you do the same. I think this endeavor would be the better for it.

Respectfully,

Mark Botzki.

Edited by purepmd

What they found out, along the way, was that, things like aluminum wheels, tanks, and battery / storage boxes, replacing the heavy, steel components and spoke or steel disc wheels put more money in their pockets over the life of the truck. This fundamentally changed, especially for O/Os, what was acceptable regarding appearance. Reliable functionality was no longer enough.

Another thing they found out was the advantages of air ride versus spring suspension. The Hendrickson RT was the standard for many years, especially for trucks pulling lowboys and trailer dumps. It was until the 80's that air ride started to become more common and that brought along disc wheels which helped lower weight and eventually made spokes less desirable. The old Brockways, Autocars and Macks with double frames and spokes all around weighed so much that they only way for a trucker to make money was to run overweight.

Richard, I don't think Anthony is nit picking, at least I hope not. I think he was expanding on another aspect of the trucking industry, as awhole. Air ride is, probably, the single, biggest game-changer to come along. So much so, Freightliner had to buy it's way into that game. I did not get into that because I was aware of how long winded I can get when hisory and trivia start rolling, and that is reall long post already.

You do make a valid point. Let's just enjoy the hobby we have managed to bring with us to this point. I just hope nobody decides not to participate based on their peticular likes and dislikes.

I may be wrong, and Clayton, please put me in my place if I am, but when I read "show trucks" and "no weathering", I took that to mean, if it is old, make your build look like a restoration, not like it was rode hard and put up wet, or, if you like low pros, full fenders, and wild paint, go to it.

Personally, the variety would be welcome. Use your skills to build the best representation of what floats your boat, then show it off to the rest of us. Just my perspective.

M.

Edited by purepmd

Antony the point is to have fun not nit pic

If you think thats nitpicking you're mistaken. And by the way, check your spelling before you hit the post button

Richard, I don't think Anthony is nit picking, at least I hope not. I think he was expanding on another aspect of the trucking industry, as awhole. Air ride is, probably, the single, biggest game-changer to come along. So much so, Freightliner had to buy it's way into that game. I did not get into that because I was aware of how long winded I can get when hisory and trivia start rolling, and that is reall long post already.

Thats exactly the point I was trying to make Mark, no more no less. I actually enjoy talking about the history of trucking and trivia

I know I'd be interested in this, for sure.....I guess my only "concern" is that if we did have 20 or so entrants, and obviously if you entered you would vote for your own, so I'm with the no entrant voting thing; but.....Who would be left to vote?? Maybe I'm not counting right, but I really only see about that amount post, regularly...... LOL !!! :D Guess we'd have to go over to the "Cars" side and see if we could get some guys from there.....

I know I'd be interested in this, for sure.....I guess my only "concern" is that if we did have 20 or so entrants, and obviously if you entered you would vote for your own, so I'm with the no entrant voting thing; but.....Who would be left to vote?? Maybe I'm not counting right, but I really only see about that amount post, regularly...... LOL !!! :D Guess we'd have to go over to the "Cars" side and see if we could get some guys from there.....

That's a good point. But, if the poll is posted in the Community Build section, that might get traffic.