Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I figure out scale?

I'm thinking of building a speaker box for my 1/25 54 sedan delivery and my brain is getting in my way. I want to build it to scale or close to. Please tell me if I'm on the right track? First I'd convert all measurements to inches (mm might be easier?) Then just multiply my measurement by .25? Is that correct? Next anybody built realistic looking speakers before? I'm looking to make 2 round 4", 2 6x9" and 1 10" subwoofer with box and amp.

If you are measuring in inches, you want to divide by 25 to find the scale size.

Or you can convert to scale by using mm. 1 inch in 1/1 scale = 1 mm in 1/25 scale. So if your speaker box is 24 inches tall, you would make it 24 mm tall. A 1/25 scale 10 inch subwoofer would be 10 mm. Hope that makes sense.

I don't know how to make the speakers, I'm still trying to figure that out myself.

Geez Louise.....to determine ANY scale you divide the actual measurement, in inches, millimeters, or miles, by the DENOMINATOR in the fraction. Was everybody sleeping in math class?

25 inches in 1/25 scale is 1 inch. (you divide the 25 inches by the denominator in 1/25....25. 25 divided by 25=1, right?)

25 inches in 1/8 scale is 3.125 inches. (you divide the 25 inches by 8, the denominator in the fraction. That equals 3.125 inches, right?)

100 millimeters in 1/24 scale is 4.1666 millimeters.

15 millimeters in 1/18 scale is .8333 millimeters.

Note: if you MULTIPLY by .25, you get 1/4 (one quarter, same as one fourth) of the actual measurement, BECAUSE: .25 means "twenty five, one-hundredths". That means you would be multiplying your measurement by 25/100, which if you divide it out is 1/4.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Geez Louise.....to determine ANY scale you divide the actual measurement, in inches, millimeters, or miles, by the DENOMINATOR in the fraction. Was everybody sleeping in math class?

25 inches in 1/25 scale is 1 inch. (you divide the 25 inches by the denominator in 1/25....25. 25 divided by 25=1, right?)

25 inches in 1/8 scale is 3.125 inches. (you divide the 25 inches by 8, the denominator in the fraction. That equals 3.125 inches, right?)

100 millimeters in 1/24 scale is 4.1666 millimeters.

15 millimeters in 1/18 scale is .8333 millimeters.

Note: if you MULTIPLY by .25, you get 1/4 (one quarter, same as one fourth) of the actual measurement, BECAUSE: .25 means "twenty five, one-hundredths". That means you would be multiplying your measurement by 25/100, which if you divide it out is 1/4.

Um... I think that's exactly what I told him. The whole "millimeter" thing in my post was to be able to use a ruler to measure parts rather than use math. If you want something to be, say 25" long in 1/25 scale, then you could divide by 25. But when you start getting into decimals it can get annoying. Or you could simply measure out 25 mm on a ruler, and you got you're 25 scale inches. No need to go all crazy with the math.

The millimeter thing comes from the fact that 1 inch== roughly 25 mm.

Edited by 91blaze

So sorry. I didn't realize I was getting "all crazy with the math" or that "decimals...can get annoying". They've never annoyed me, for some screwy reason, and I kinda like math. Just trying to help someone actually UNDERSTAND something. My sincere apologies.

Just as a further FYI.....

I keep a cheap calculator (less than $1) and a cheap digital-readout caliper (less than $15) that reads 0-6 inches, and switches from inches to millimeters at the touch of a button, always on my bench.

Simply measure with the caliper, divide by whatever scale you're working in with the calculator, and presto-chango, no crazy math or annoying decimals to ruin your composure. You don't even have to make change.....the machines do it all. Just like at MacDonalds.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

In my first post I told him you could divide by 25 to find the scale. Then in your post you act like I told him the wrong thing. I was just trying to clarify what I first posted so it didn't seem like I told him wrong. I said decimals can get annoying because I've been there and sometimes all the decimals can get rather unnerving. I usually use the millimeter trick because it is much easier and you don't need a calculator.

The wording in your post made it seem like you misunderstood what I had originally posted because you mentioned millimeters several times. You act like what I originally posted was wrong and like you were correcting me even though I said the same things you did. I'm sure the OP understood what I was saying.

This is the part that felt a little condescending. Like I didn't know what I was talking about.

I apologize if anyone took what I said to be anything other than helpful. I was simply pointing out that in WHATEVER scale, using WHATEVER UNITS, you just have to divide the full-size measurement by the denominator in the scale ( as long as the scale is written 1/X ). It is universal. There seems to be a lot of confusion around as to what "scale" is and what it means and how it's derived. I constantly see posts here and on other forums asking "how do I get this measurement or what does that work out to in -blank-scale?". Just trying to clarify and actually simplify the concept. Things always seemed easier to me when I understood WHY you do something, rather than just HOW. Again, my apologies if anyone took offence at the way I phrased anything.

91blaze, you obviously told him correctly. I was giving more information, to further explain the CONCEPT.

Kenny thanks for calling me a youngin . You made my day. granted I'm not old but I certainly don't feel young anymore. As far as what you said I would much rather have the details on why you do things. It makes more sense to me that way.

Woodland Scenics has a conversion calculator on their website, although it's geared toward model railroaders, it has a "custom scale" calculator that you can input any scale that you are using. It will convert "actual" millimeters, centimeters, inches, feet, yards, and meters to the "scale" measurement or vice versa.

They also have a free smartphone app that I use on my phone. I found it in the marketplace one day by searching for "models".

Seriously, 1/25 scale is one of the easiest in which to work with scale measurements! For those who prefer the metric system, 1 inch is equal (certainly close enough for our hand tools!) 25.4mm. If one uses 1mm to equal a 1/25 scale inch, the difference between that and micrometer accuracy is but a small fraction of the thickness of an Xacto #11 knife blade. Now, 5 ten-thousandths of an inch makes a real difference in precision machining of metal parts, but it's infinitesimal when one thinks of razor saws, Xacto knives, and sandpaper of any grade. So, seriously, for someone steeped in metric, 1mm can readily be used to represent an inch in 1/25 scale.

For those who prefer English measure (you know, feet and inches and fractions thereof), divide 1 by 25, and you come up with .040" as a scale inch in 1/25th scale. Common fractions of an inch in this scale are equally easy: .020" is a half inch, .010" is a quarter of an inch, and .005" is but an eighth of an inch in this scale. When scratchbuilding, Evergreen and Plastruct make it even easier--both companies offer styrene sheets and strips measured in thousandths of an inch, and thus in most all common scale fractions of an inch.

Math is a wonderful skill, but sometimes, a little bit of thought also works.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson