Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sanding Surface Plates

Greetings

I have some solid surface tiles 3 3/4 x 3 3/4 flat on top with 90 degree square edges that I use for sanding that work great. I didn't know what to call them but they remind me of a machinist surface plate. I got these as samples at a home improvement show. They are flat and square on all sides. to make these I do the following:

I clean the solid surface material with lacquer thinner then spray the surface with a lite coat of 3M Super 77 adhesive, I also spray the backside of the sand paper of choice ( I have 100, 180, 220, 320.) place the paper on the tile and burnish (I use a small ink brayer) trim to fit your style. I have some that paper is just flat and some that I folded the paper over at the 90.

These work great for squaring engine blocks, valve covers, rear ends, yata yata. I put cork bumpers on all four corners to prevent slipping when I use them on the bench, I also use them like a sanding stick.

I think they work great and inexpensive to make!

Cheers :D jwrass

• 1 month later...

I use a 1/4" thick 36x18 sheet of stainless steel for mine. It's bolted down to the bench with 7/16" countersunk bolts. I have a second sheet the same size that's being used as the base for my spray painting area. Got both of them free, they were originally mounted under the rear slip plates on our old Rotary 2 post alignment rack we scrapped when we upgraded to the Hunter Hawkeye Elite system.

• 5 months later...

i've got a couple of acrylic picture frames, they trap the photo between two fairly thick flat plates using magnets, that i use for sanding plates. i simply lay the sandpaper on them and true up flat surfaces that way. nice, light, portable, easy to clean, and safer than glass (although i also have a 12"x12" glass tile i use for laying up frames, etc....)

our Quality Assurance inspector at a previous job had a wonderful huge granite table..... some beautiful true square blocks, dial indicators.... i'd have carried that sucker home if i could lift it.

You can use double stick tape to hold sandpaper also. I have a sink cutout from my late brother. I believe he purchased it locally. Works great.

The counter top places like to make money so they will sell you anything they can. I do like the Idea of the smaller blocks.

Until the first of the year MSC ( a company that sells machinist tools) has a pair of solid steel 1 2 3 blocks for under 40 bucks . They do not have the pesky hole in them, great for working with small stuff .http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/06378186?item=06378186&fromRR=Y