Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Hemi Cuda (Under Glass 2-Mar)

taaron76

Another small update... I only had time to wetsand and buff the roof, but I only put about 10 minutes into it before it was ready for wax. The paint on this one came out flawless, so that really helped not having to wetsand as much. I anticipate the rest of the car coming out just as good as the roof. With 5 coats of clear, I guess it should. Anyhow, this "life" thing keeps getting in the way of my model building... if anyone has figured out how to get around it, let me know your secret. lol

It appears to be dust on the roof just above the upside down M or W, but it is the light reflecting off of the primer can. Took me a minute to figure out what it was.

Tim

PP1-vi.jpg

looking great! I too love to load the clear on, makes for a much deeper/shiny finish, plus gives ya some error room while getting any junk out of it.

looking great, keep at it!

Thanks, Tom. I've been putting 5 coats of clear on the last 4 or 5 builds and it makes the world of difference. Thanks for the compliments!

Tim

This paint work inspires me to work harder at my finish work. This is outfreekinstanding Tim!

As for the 1:1 engine bay and engine....................I'd never drive it................anywhere! lol I'm a clean freak and it would pain me to drive that on the streets.

Edited by mustang1989

Nice detail work Tim. I agree I love doing detail. It seems each model I work on, wants it's own level of detail. Your engine work is really turning out nice. As for the lines coming off the valve covers, usually the one on the drivers side is a PVC line that goes to the back of the intake manifold just behind the carbs. The ones on the drivers side comes off the cap, (and usually there is two lines on the valve cover cap) the smaller one goes to the side of the rear carb, usually where the choke area is, and the other larger one goes up under and connects to the bottom of the shaker air breather as a crank case vent. One some cars there is even a 3rd line coming off the passenger side breather cap that goes to the fuel tank vent return line.

Here's a reference pic for ya in case ya want it. Wish it were a little bigger. Keep in mind this is a 70 so it might be just a little different for a 71, but If memory serves me, there wasnt that much difference in the engine vaccum systems between those two years.

1970PlymouthHemiCudaEngine-vi.jpg

The engine in this photo has the "N95" Cleaner Air Package (i.e. , a California model ) ; 1971 models in the other 49 states received this EEC arrangement (3rd , forward-facing port "nipple" in this photo is ported to the fuel return line .

Prior to 1970 , there was no fuel vapour return line ; the VOC's were just vented to the atmosphere .

So , if you want to replicate a 1970 California model , or a 1971 model (all 50 states) , then this photo serves as a great reference . That 3-port crankcase breather was used on all engines , from the 198 Slant Six , to the 340 , and up to the 426 Hemi .

The engine in this photo has the "N95" Cleaner Air Package (i.e. , a California model ) ; 1971 models in the other 49 states received this EEC arrangement (3rd , forward-facing port "nipple" in this photo is ported to the fuel return line .

Prior to 1970 , there was no fuel vapour return line ; the VOC's were just vented to the atmosphere .

So , if you want to replicate a 1970 California model , or a 1971 model (all 50 states) , then this photo serves as a great reference . That 3-port crankcase breather was used on all engines , from the 198 Slant Six , to the 340 , and up to the 426 Hemi .

John - Thanks for the info! My goal is to make it as close as possible, with enough detail to make it look good. It'd be easy to go crazy on the 426, but hopefully I put enough detail in it so far that it's presentabke, without disrespecting it or Mopar lovers.

Tim

John - Thanks for the info! My goal is to make it as close as possible, with enough detail to make it look good. It'd be easy to go crazy on the 426, but hopefully I put enough detail in it so far that it's presentabke, without disrespecting it or Mopar lovers.

Tim

I've been around alot of Mopar stuff in my time Tim and I don't think you have any thing to worry about pal. That motor looks better every time I see it.

Atta boy Cheecho! Show pics. :D

I'll post some tomorrow. I got the grill painted silver and started on assembling the chassis. I have to paint those dang molded-in exhaust, then I can mount the rear suspension and axle. Detailing the interior after that... The interior on these are pretty basic.

Tim

I freed up a little time to get the body wetsanded and polished... no wax yet. There isn't a spec of dust or imperfection of any kind in this paint job. I apologize for boasting a little, but they get better with each build and I'm a little proud of at least that part of the build. I finished up the front grill, got the bumpers mounted and started inside of the engine bay. I should be able to start the BMF process tonight and then finish up all of the little details that take the longest. Thanks for looking!

Tim

FrontEnd1-vi.jpg

BP1-vi.jpg

BP2-vi.jpg

That's a great build so far! Beautiful work!. I didn't know if the engine was the 426 or the 440-6 up until now, I was going to copy yours for my GTX build, but I have the 440-6.

What camera do you use for your pictures. Your pictures come out with great detail. I'm just using my iPhone 5 camera, and it never does me justice.

That's a great build so far! Beautiful work!. I didn't know if the engine was the 426 or the 440-6 up until now, I was going to copy yours for my GTX build, but I have the 440-6.

What camera do you use for your pictures. Your pictures come out with great detail. I'm just using my iPhone 5 camera, and it never does me justice.

Thanks, Dave, I appreciate the comments. This was my first Mopar build and I absolutely love this car, and learned a lot about it along the way. There are some very knowledgeable Mopar guys on this board and they were a huge help to me. There's a lot of knowledge and I soak it up like a sponge.

I use a Nikon D3200 with a 50mm-300mm zoom inside of a photo booth I made for under $50.00. It was worth it in the end since I try to keep my pics consistent... plus, it's fun to take pics of all my work as well. If you look at my Fotki page, I have my booth under Misc, I think.

Tim

First off that body looks immaculate! I have several car kits in the stash now and look very much forward to attempting to pull off what you have done with your last three builds that I have seen. You're not going to have to modify your technique much , if at all. Secondly, your engine looks great Tim. The paint work looks great and you have just enough weathering to make it look a little used.(Nice fan clutch BTW lol) and lastly, the B-2 Bomber? too_funny-1052.gif

Thanks, Joe! I appreciate the vote of confidence. These things are so addicting, and therapeutic all at the same time.

The B-2 is an amazing aircraft and that's what the shaker reminds me of. It's my 4th favorite plane, behind the SR-71, A-10 and of course all the models of the C-130 since I have spent lots of time in one of those. There's nothing better than hearing the 105 on the gunship go off. The sound of peace!!!

I am the dilemma part of the build... to decal or not decal, that is the question. I'm going to spray a coat of flat clear over the black HEMI decal that goes on the rear quarter panel, but I'm undecided on whether or not I should put it on.

I finished all of the BMF, but still have the turn signals, spoiler, mirrors, emblems, hood pins, side-fender vents, door handles and a coat of wax left to do. Not a bunch, so hopefully mid-week the Hemi Cuda will be complete.

I need to figure out why the hood won't sit all the way down. The Shaker is holding it up a tad, but I'll fix it.

AC3-vi.jpg

AC1-vi.jpg

AC2-vi.jpg

AC4-vi.jpg

Edited by taaron76

looks incredible. superb paint work as well.

on mine, I had hood issues as well, mine was the shaker scoop hitting the underside of the hood, the second part was the 'hinges' hitting the bottom of the windshield glass, once I trimmed the shaker scoop base some, and got my windshield fully seated to the roof, my hood fit pretty flat.