Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where's the Buzz? New tool Hyundai!

Will be getting it.

Just curious, where did you find this at?, I can not find anything related to this.

There are a couple on eBay (shipping from Korea) - outside of that, I haven't seen anything else...

If you can interpret anything here:

http://www.academy.co.kr/6q/board_news_main.asp?pMenuId=BOARD00002&pCode=7108&pCategory=NEWS2

Nothing about it on the Academy English language site.

Edited by Erik Smith

From a few peeks of it I've managed to get, it looks like a curbside Snap-Fit style kit. Parts content looks to be on the low budget Fujimi scale of things (aka 50-60 parts). Looks like it's cast in Black with chrome runner as well, one thing of interest it seems to have decals (Cartigraf) for the headlight and taillight reflectors behind the clear parts...with the fact that so many cars these days use LED lighting, nothing has "color" to it unless the lights are on, brakes applied, etc.

Pricing for the two auctions I can find on eBay are about $50 with the shipping directly from South Korea. I've seen a release date for the Azera of "June", and it makes me wonder if the auctions are for the SKDM version of the kits as the kit stock number has a "A" after it - possibly indicating a "B" version is around the corner. for export markets. Hopefully HLJ or Hobby Search will stock it with a more reasonable shipping fee, although $30 for the kit itself is probably about the ballpark price plus or minus a few hundred Yen.

MRC is the Academy distributor for the U.S., you can order direct from them as it turns out, although they have no mention of it on their website yet.

Isn't the Azera the non-export South Korean version of the export Genesis, like Kia has the K-5 in their non-export line & the export version is the Optima. While I'm there, if they're working with Hyundai Motors why not issue an Optima, they are doing quite well in World Challenge GT against Porsche's, Camaros & Mustangs.

Edited by horsepower

Very interesting. A modern four door that isn't a performance car. I can't say I'll purchase one but I fully respect Fujimi's plan to produce one. As for the reaction I'm glad too see that people are interested in it. Well most people, sad to see the lack of respect for an newly tooled product of a totally untapped subject.

Isn't the Azera the non-export South Korean version of the export Genesis, like Kia has the K-5 in their non-export line & the export version is the Optima. While I'm there, if they're working with Hyundai Motors why not issue an Optima, they are doing quite well in World Challenge GT against Porsche's, Camaros & Mustangs.

The Azera is available in the US - it's kind of he little cousin to the Genesis. The Sonata is the next line below the Azera. It is odd they chose a mid level model and not the Genesis or top of the line Equus.

POS that is killing America. But nice to see it in plastic.

Bob

There are some Hyundais assembled in the US - Elantras in Alabama I believe. So, they are contributing some as well.

Everybody has opinions about car makers and that's cool, but Hyundai was one of the only car companies that actually grew during the market crash from 2008 to, well, now. So, like them or not, they are a successful company - and as global as all markets are, no company is truly all American anymore.

Hyundai as of 2012 , the North American plant that Eric point out that is in Alabama, employed 3000 Americans.

On a related note the Nissan Plant in Smyrna TN has provided a similar amount of jobs for locals and the pay ain't that bad either. Ironic how the foreign guys start plants in the US but the Domestic guys go outside the borders to make "American "cars.

The Azera is the export model, in S.K. it's the Grandeur as the first post box art picture shows.

But if you were talking unexpected 4 door kits race car kits, well one might never know what might come Cruze-ing out later this year...

POS that is killing America. But nice to see it in plastic.

Bob

Actually, Hyundai has been doing quite well, quality-wise, for many years. And like many cars sold by foreign companies, a lot of the assembly is done here in the US., so some of the $$$ does stay here. We got our first Sonata because at least 7 of our neighbors back on LI owned them and we never heard any complaints about them, nor did we ever see them towed away, nor gone missing while being serviced. The only reason we gave up our first Sonata is that the lease was up. We are on our second Sonata now.

If you want to beat up on anybody, thank all of those politicians who allowed so many foreign manufacturers to sell here, and thank those automotive execs in Detroit to allow so many PsOS to be manufactured by the US automakers for too long. Basically, they were gas-guzzlers that should have been stamped with an expiration date. They might have looked good, they might have been fast as all get-out, but how long did they last?