Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beautiful rig man!.. I like the look of the Volvo tractors, maybe I'll build one someday B)

Thanks Brian! You are right, these truck are nice. The first time I saw one, I was amazed at how modern these looked, especially compared to what they replaced. I have to say the Kenworth T2000 was there first but I think Volvo brings good futuristic looks to Aero trucks. But that's a matter of opinion. I like most class 8 trucks anyway.

I see you're into muscle cars and dioramas, great job on the garage with the orange 69 Z28 and Boss Mustang!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I added some details to finish up this Volvo. In front, the fog-driving lights in the bumper, the revell VN670 didn't have them, unlike the VN 780, so I cut the bumper, scratch built the lights with transparent tree material for the lenses, some evergreen flat .040 stock and some flat transparent .060 Plastruct. I added the aerials on the mirrors, again with Plastruct .020 polystyrene wire with K&S 1/16 tube for the base.

In the back of the cab, it was a desolated desert so I added some electricals for the trailer along with the hangers. All scratch built from K&S aluminum rod with Plastruct .010 thick stock for the bolt flanges. Some 1/16 tube for the "slide bar" with steel wire to hold the trailer wires and hose. The GPS aerial was made of a trailer landing wheel and glue accumulated at the top to make the dome shape. Some Plastruct channel for the support and .010 thick stock for the support sides. Two cargo hold stoppers were added with the rack and support. These were made from K&S aluminum rods and tubes with styrene hardware for the end pads, rack and handles.

Now it looks better.

Starting to like this scratch building thing!

More pictures of the back of the cab with the next reply.

Edited by Z06Bob

i love the volvo that thing is really sweet..whats under the hood.??

Gordon, what can I say? This thing is a gutless wonder! Really, it is. These Volvo kits were originally made by Italeri and then shared with Revell. But they were conceived as "curbside" models, without any engine or transmission. That is the main thing that disapointed me, still does. But, since there is so many real ones rolling around on the road and is one of the rare modern trucks being reproduced, I decided to build one anyway and ended up with a not too bad looking replica. It would be nice if somebody would reissue this kit with all the mechanicals just like all the other kits.

I do promise the next truck I build WILL have an engine and transmission! It's either that Peterbilt 359 with an 8V92 or Freightliner FLD or Kenworth W900 with a 12V71... Hmmmm, Aero or Classic? Thanks for the compliments!

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if Roberts runs reefers, but the Great Dane would look good with this model.

Yes they do, mostly Manac trailers though. The Moebius trailer might look a bit small for 1:24 though but it sure will be nice for a 1:25 scale rig.

By the way these days I am building a proper dry van for this Volvo, stay tuned. Box is finished, I have given it two coats of yellow. Next is the silver (aluminum) trim, corners and moldings.

Then completing the suspension... What a mess! This kit is not complete from the factory! Had to build channels for the assembly to slide back and forth on the rails...

Another thing I have to decide: 2 or 3 axles? I' ll have to cut the tandem and spread the three axles if I do. It would look darn cool! Another thing I want to add, the aero skirts at the bottom.

Still some ways to go . I'll post pics when I get it to an interesting stage. Thanks for the nice comments guys!

• 1 year later...

This is a nice one...It's good someone else is looking back in time and bringing some these past builds back to the front....Excellent build, Man...This is my all time favorite type of truck...The Volvo line...Awesome...And an Italeri race trailer would look right at home on the back... :):):)

Edited by kilrathy10

Thanks JT! Actually I have a trailer specially done for this Volvo. It's an Italeri that has been "massaged" into something that matches the truck pretty nicely. A picture is worth a 1000 words so lets have them talk:

201212111810261.jpg

201212111810391.jpg

201212111811111.jpg

rearoc.jpg

Edited by BigBad