Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project: "Inferno" 49 Merc - *Update p17* 3/13/15

JasonFL

Here's some better angles of the front suspension.

Driver's side front

DSCN6325.jpg

Driver's side back

DSCN6316.jpg

Passenger side front

DSCN6324.jpg

Passenger side back

DSCN6316.jpg

Finally got the rear frame notches done with. I wanted them to flow, like they came out of the factory like that.

After I cut the notches down some I glued them in place and put a little extra super glue on all the seams to fill any pits.

DSCN6364.jpg

Driver side

DSCN6373.jpg

DSCN6386.jpg

DSCN6395.jpg

Passenger side

DSCN6382.jpg

DSCN6385.jpg

DSCN6397.jpg

Looking down on the frame you can see the frame gets thinner towards the rear. You can also see were I had already glued in one of the notches and what a difference it is.

DSCN6366.jpg

After installing both I sanded them down to match the original frame rails.

DSCN6393.jpg

DSCN6389.jpg

You can see here how the frame rails all have these dips in the center so I went ahead and blended them into the notches.

DSCN6399.jpg

I'm done with the frame notches so now I'll move onto making the bridge setup and airbag brackets.

I'm going to keep it simple and clean and just do a 2 bar setup with the brackets in between both bars.

DSCN6400.jpg

DSCN6403.jpg

That's about it for right now, maybe I'll get some bench time this weekend.

Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Man, how did I miss this one. Great job Jason! Crush some rocker with that thing will ya?

Thanks Albie. I'm really tring to get that rocker on the ground man but the front tires are up as far as possible. So unless I grind the tires down a bit or something else I think Ill have to settle for it sitting a bit above the ground. Ahhh well. I'll keep working on it.

An awesome project. Love to see more.

Thanks Sonny. Your wish is my command...haha....I got some more photos to post today. Stay tuned.

Alright guys, here we go.

I got a little to excited last night and I started cutting before I made my final outline, lesson learned. On the brighter side it is fixable just a little more work.

I cut the floor out for the notch and it started out looking good...

3816672b79a9c9a79e45413a4c2a19ab.jpg

2cba25450f0d9f591600b75594d6e173.jpg

7729e02025e2daf72d2ce57fe38b9d82.jpg

Edited by JasonFL

...until I put the frame up in there, oops. Just a little off...haha!

Driver Side

6280a717c7b7f392144ca47374f552c2.jpg

Passenger Side

810dc5b2a60ea45e807422782613a96e.jpg

Here it is with the body on. Sittin pretty low but I think I can get that rocker to lay on the ground.

3c77c24ff34ba095ddf80c229530a372.jpg

That's it for now, maybe I'll get something done this weekend.

Looking good, what colours are you thinking?

I reckon a flat blue with red pinstripe flames would be cool.

Thanks Zac. As of now I only have 2 colors, flat black and lime ice green. Usually you see guys do flat black and paint flames ontop but I think I'm going to reversed it and do the whole body lime ice and the flames flat black just to make it different. I like your ideas of colors, when I get some cash I have to get some more supplies.

Man, this thing is in the weeds! Looking good so far, Jason. Keep up the good work. l can't wait to see some color on it! Bart.

Lol...thanks Bart, you know how i do, everythings got to be in the weeds. You probably get more updates then anyone which reminds me, how you been? I emailed you a few times and never herd back from ya. I'm assuming your busy as hell so I didn't want to over flow your inbox.

Your work is insperational i think that with your permission i will copy your mods on my next mercury

stunning simply stunning

Doobie

Thanks David, I really appreciate that. You are more then welcome to do any of the custom work on your merc that I did. I'm sure I wasn't the first to do some of the mods and I'm sure I won't be the last either. I look forward to seeing your merc, thanks again.

really good work and I'm jealous of the very clean panel lines,how the heck do you do that...

Thanks Michael, this was actually one of my first attempts at a lot of the mods. Honestly, I just took my time and hoped for the best...lol, so far so good.

Edited by JasonFL

• 3 weeks later...