Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford C-600 Flatbed

Thanks, Bill and Dave. :)

I was unable to resolve the non-Studebaker engine issue, and it's been stewing in the back of my mind since I started this project. The Studebaker V8 engine always looked too small in place between the truck's framerails, and while artificially enlarging it to make a pseudo-Stude heavy duty engine would probably work within the context of this build, neither the AMT Avanti nor '53 Starliner's engines are all that well detailed, so that option was eliminated. The Super Duty Ford engine is out, too, though it will eventually be installed in one of the other two C-600 kits I've acquired. It's too far along to be abandoned, and "Studebakerizing" it wasn't a great solution, either.

Fortunately, I have a solution which will correct the engine mismatch issue...sort of. I need to do some test fitting and measuring, but I should have an update near the end of next week. ^_^

Thanks, guys.

The new engine arrived today, so I'm going to assemble it, then do some test fitting and decide what should stay with this project and what will be transferred over to the second C-series project.

I'll be using the GT-series turbine engine from the AMT GMC Astro kit:

AMTGMCAstro95TurbineEngine1.jpg

Thank you, Rich.

I assembled the turbine engine's main components and wow, this thing is huge, and makes the Ford Super Duty look small:

GTturbineVSFordSuperDuty2.jpg

GTturbineVSFordSuperDuty.jpg

I will to (try to) finish out this build using everything I've worked on so far (except for maybe the cab shell) and will start another topic for the Studebaker-ized, turbine powered hauler. Here's the most recent progress to show. The two fuel tanks are pinned and easily mount to the brackets, everything on the engine fits without any clearance issues, and I added some locating pins to the bed's rails, too:

mokcp4914.jpg