Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell snap Pete...Maggini #13 inspired. Maybe i got some motivation.

OK, this is a very VERY loose idea, took about 10 minutes, but you can kind of get the idea. I may end up making stacks similar to this for some of my own projects. Kind of brings up whole new possibilities for exhaust gas expulsion that few have gone for before.

stack%201_zpsjkeyhw3j.jpg

If you are going for a 379 look, the windshield shape is different between 379 and the 1100-cab (359). You can "cheat" by reshaping the corner radius of the windshield and reworking the center post. The 1:1 cabs are much different, but with subtle modifications you can create the look needed. Also, the side-of-cab fresh air vent should be eliminated for 379. Also, the roof is shaped differently - the 379 has a more graceful shape where the 359 is squarer. Sanding the leading edge, rear and the shaping the outer ends will lend a 379 look to the roof.

Poormans379outof359snapcab-vi.jpg

Poormans379outof359snapcab-vi.jpg

Thanks Tim. I was hoping you'd chime in on this. You sure did at the right spot. I'm gonna try my hand at this "poor mans" 379.

Removing the outside vents were next on my list of things to do. Now the list got longer. Thanks again Tim. That will really help with replicating this truck.

I loosely mocked up a set of Italeri 378 stock air breathers. I think these will work nicely. On 1/25, the 1/24 breathers look like big after market Vortox breathers.

20150425_112802-1_zpsdlsn7aky.jpg

Glad to help.

Here's a couple of other reworkings - these were on two Snap 359's that I widened the cabs and made new hoods and really reworked them into 379-127's. For the long hood, I added 8 scale inches to the back of the hood, and 8 inches to the frame rail between the rear front spring mount and the battery box.

359to379roof-vi.jpg

359cabsto379cabs62213-vi.jpg

Glad to help.

Here's a couple of other reworkings - these were on two Snap 359's that I widened the cabs and made new hoods and really reworked them into 379-127's. For the long hood, I added 8 scale inches to the back of the hood, and 8 inches to the frame rail between the rear front spring mount and the battery box.

359to379roof-vi.jpg

359cabsto379cabs62213-vi.jpg

I think I read somewhere that the cab on a 379 is 2" wider than the 359. Maybe on Tim's site.

If you want to be exact. Few people would notice the difference.

Why is it that the hay haulers only use one axle?

Ken. B)

It's the little cues that when changed can disguise the 359 era.

Here's one I made when the Snap kit first came back in 2006 - I built it just to build it - to see how it would look as a 379 - Sort of a long hood shape but as a standard length. I modified the cab for the newer door window shapes and mirrors, filled in the right hand sleeper door, and used some resin air cleaners that Spauldings sold at the time.

black379119left-vi.jpg

black379119-vi.jpg

P1010091edit-vi.jpg

I haven't done much searching. But where I have looked, I'm having a hard time finding a bright enough yellow to match this. I have the green, almost a spot on match. Can anyone suggest a color and/or brand?

I was thinkin Testors Chrome Yellow, I haven't looked at it yet with my own eyes.

Edited by Petetrucker07