Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped Model T Rustbucket

rmvw guy

Is that body really 50s old? Like a Johan kit. Never the less that's bad to the bone. I like it.

Yeah it's really that old, from an original AMT kit I had as a kid. The body was left over from the double "T" kit. I always thought the original kit came with three bodys including the tall "T". I don't know for sure but, I always had this extra body.

That's pretty cool looking Ron! Especially for a first time weathing job! Cool idea of using a gluebomb body to begin with. I may have to try something similar to that sometime. How didi you do your angled plug boots? I've done them before,but they don't look as clean and neat as yours do. Well done!

That's pretty cool looking Ron! Especially for a first time weathing job! Cool idea of using a gluebomb body to begin with. I may have to try something similar to that sometime. How didi you do your angled plug boots? I've done them before,but they don't look as clean and neat as yours do. Well done!

The angled plug boots are an illusion, the wires are just superglued to the sparkplugs then touched up with Testors rubber paint. The nailhead engine had nice sparkplugs and I just couldn't cut them off and drill holes! :lol: I forgot the radiator hoses so I added them today and the picture. Thanks also to Jeff, Carl and Chris.DSC03963.jpgDSC03957.jpg

Yeah it's really that old, from an original AMT kit I had as a kid. The body was left over from the double "T" kit. I always thought the original kit came with three bodys including the tall "T". I don't know for sure but, I always had this extra body.

Dude that's kool man. Good job on it man.

This thing is really cool! I love all the little touches like the skull, mooneyes, logos on the doors and the weathering looks great. Those tail lights are cool as hell too, what are they off of? I want to say something like a ranchero but I think I'm way off. anyways, nice build.

This thing is really cool! I love all the little touches like the skull, mooneyes, logos on the doors and the weathering looks great. Those tail lights are cool as hell too, what are they off of? I want to say something like a ranchero but I think I'm way off. anyways, nice build.

Thanks, Jason. The lights came from an old Monogram '34 Ford. The reason they are so high is because I mounted them on the shock perches on the '40 ford axel. I could imagine them shining on the tires as it is going down the road and turning with the wheels going around the corners. :lol: OK, I re-read your question I thought you said tall lights. The TAILIGHTS are from a source unknown to me. A friend last night at my club told me they were VW front fender turn signals. I think he is wrong but, I don't know the source.

Thanks, Jason. The lights came from an old Monogram '34 Ford. The reason they are so high is because I mounted them on the shock perches on the '40 ford axel. I could imagine them shining on the tires as it is going down the road and turning with the wheels going around the corners. :lol: OK, I re-read your question I thought you said tall lights. The TAILIGHTS are from a source unknown to me. A friend last night at my club told me they were VW front fender turn signals. I think he is wrong but, I don't know the source.

Lol....I was trying to figure out what you were talking about with tall lights. I'm glad you pointed that out tho, I didn't even notice they were mounted like that. Whatever the tail lights may be they are just really cool, nice touch.

[/quote

very very cool! what technique did you use for weathering?

Thanks, here are the products I used. I first painted the body silver, (about 50 years ago probably Testors silver), then I began useing the rust powders. Since this was one of my first tries at weathering I just chose a scrap body out of my parts box, (the old "T" body). I dusted the body with AIM Products medium rust 10-3108 ( from my lhs) then applied Testors Dullcoat and some more rust powder while it was still wet. Repeated this untill I got the effect I liked. I later bought some 10-3109 new fresh rust and added that for effect. The powders are fun but, a real mess to work with. I would suggest useing them over a box to retrieve what falls off. I used the Poly Flake on the seats and the Zing on the headliner purchased at Hobby Lobby.DSC03968_zps64b3790f.jpg Edited by rmvw guy